NCAA Division I Self-Study
Welcome to the University of North Florida's Division I Athletics Certification Self-Study Website. This site will serve as a point of reference for the NCAA Self-Study Steering Committee and enable the entire UNF community to view the draft and final Self-Study Report, important dates, and other important information related to the certification process.
The Steering Committee, impaneled and charged by President John Delaney, currently consists of 25 members including those required by the NCAA (President, Faculty Athletics Representative and Senior Woman Administrator). Members also include alumni, some of whom are former intercollegiate athletes, community leaders such as a former city council member, a member of the City of Jacksonville’s Sports and Entertainment Board, current student athletes, and academic administrators and advisors. A complete listing of the Steering Committee members is included in table menu on the left.
The three Subcommittee chairs have been appointed and are members of the Steering Committee.
- Academic Integrity: Dr. David Jaffee (Assistant Vice President for Undergraduate Studies)
- Equity & Student Athlete Well-being: Lina Monell (Director of Equal Opportunity Programs)
- Governance & Compliance: Karen J. Stone (University General Counsel)
The Subcommittees are comprised of members of the Steering Committee who have indicated interest in one of these areas of study, as well as outside members (faculty, staff and students) who have been invited to participate.
The University of North Florida’s goals for the NCAA Athletics Certification Process and particularly, the Self-Study Process are as follows:
- To closely examine all aspects of the University’s intercollegiate athletics program to ensure integrity and excellence in its functions, while educating the broader university community and constituency about the program.
- To identify opportunities to improve the program, and to ensure that systems are put in place for continuous improvement.
- To demonstrate through the Self-Study process the University of North Florida’s intercollegiate athletic program should be certified by the NCAA Division I Committee on Athletics Certification, as it is in substantial conformity with the operating principles, or has a plan in place and well underway to address any deficiencies or areas of concern.
If you have any questions or comments related to the Self-Study Steering Committee and/or Self-Study Report please feel free to contact Heather Patterson at (904) 620-2529.
- May 1, 2008 - Submit final report to the NCAA
- September 30-October 2, 2008 - Peer Review Visit
- February 2009 - Certification Decision