The Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) provides low-cost research poster printing services for current UNF students, faculty, and staff. An active N-number is required. Poster printing is an academic service intended to support students and faculty in demonstrating and showcasing the results of their research or creative projects.
Because the OUR is operating remotely for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters, it is necessary that you email the OUR in advance (OUR@unf.edu) if you need a poster to be printed. UNF faculty members who are sponsoring in-person research or creative project poster conferences on campus should contact the OUR director in advance (email@example.com) to coordinate poster printing and arrange billing through their departments.
Please read this entire page carefully before you submit your poster to the OUR for printing.
Creating a research poster allows you to use all your talents -- delivering not only the knowledge you gleaned from your research, but displaying analytical and organizational skills and your aesthetic sense of art and design. You might want to look at poster examples on the SOARS 2020 Virtual Conference website, or view a recent YouTube video on rethinking traditional poster designs. The OUR also has some practical handouts that might help you. Email us at OUR@unf.edu if you'd like us to send those handouts to you.
Steps for creating a poster and printing it through the OUR
- Create your poster using PowerPoint. See the section below entitled "Poster requirements."
- Carefully read the section below entitled "Cost of poster printing."
- Pay for your poster. Carefully follow all instructions on the payment website. Although the website asks for a shipping address, we do not ship posters.
- After you pay, submit your poster to the OUR by emailing the poster file as an attachment to OUR@unf.edu. You may send a PowerPoint or PDF file (.ppt, .pptx, or .pdf). No other formats are accepted. You should receive a confirmation email 24 hours after submitting your poster (not including the weekend). If you do not receive confirmation, please email again to inquire.
- Your poster will be ready no later than one week (five business days) after it was submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Research.
- Pick up your poster in Building 2 (Founder's Hall), Suite 1200 (Undergraduate Studies). Please ask for your poster at the front desk.
- The ideal poster size for the specialized printer in the OUR is 3' x 4' (36" high x 48" wide). Poster height cannot exceed 42" inches (limit determined by the size of the paper), but it is possible to print a wider poster -- for example, 54".
- Please name your poster file using the following protocol: author last name_poster dimensions (e.g., Smith_36x48).
- The OUR can only accept and print PowerPoint or PDF files. We do not accept Word, Publisher, or any online links to files. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- We do not recommend using online template services to create your poster (e.g., PosterPresentations.com). These templates often do not print properly through our computers and printer. If you choose to use an online template service, you must print your poster through that company's website. If you design your poster using an online service and print it through our office, you will be liable for that poster and its printing cost despite any errors and/or image or text distortions.
- You must set the dimensions of your poster within the file before you save it and send it to us. For example, if you want a 36" x 48" poster, size your PowerPoint slide to 36" x 48". Helpful tutorials on resizing a poster file can be found on YouTube. The OUR will not resize posters for you. See the section below entitled "Poster templates."
- You must pay for your poster correctly and in full before we are able to print it.
- As a general rule, you must submit your poster for printing no later than one week before you need to pick it up. Please do not wait until the last minute to pick up your poster in case it needs to be reprinted.
Cost of poster printing
Read the instructions on the payment portal very carefully. Note that in this payment system, the word "quantity" refers to inches. The cost of poster printing is $.54 per linear inch. The printing cost is determined by the longest side of the poster; that is, a 36" x 48" poster will cost $25.92 (48 inches x $.54 = $25.92) plus tax. Enter the number of inches -- the measurement of the longest side -- next to the word "Quantity" to calculate the price of your poster. Do not enter "1" (as in 1 poster) for "Quantity" during payment.
If you need a template or inspiration to create your poster, please refer to the beautiful Poster Template Gallery posted on the UNF CIRT (Center for Instruction and Research Technology) website. There you will find PowerPoint templates in Horizontal, Vertical, and Tri-fold formats (look to the upper left corner of the page). CIRT Tri-fold templates are already sized as 4' x 3' (which is 36" high by 48" wide). However, if you choose to use a Horizontal or Vertical template from CIRT, you must resize the poster to 36" by 48" before you submit it to OUR for printing. The OUR will not resize your poster for you since some font sizes may also need to be adjusted.
When will my poster be ready for pick up?
Your poster will be ready for pickup no more than one week (five business days) after you have submitted it.
Where do I pick up my poster?
You should pick up your poster in Building 2 (Founder's Hall), Suite 1200 (Undergraduate Studies). Please ask for it at the front desk.
How do I resize my poster?
We recommend using YouTube for tutorials on resizing posters in PowerPoint and Adobe.
What size should my poster be?
Most posters printed in the Office of Undergraduate Research are 36" tall x 48" wide. Our plotter uses 42" paper and therefore cannot print posters which exceed 42" in height, although we can print wider posters (e.g., 36" x 54"). If you are presenting at a poster conference, check the conference website for specific size requirements. If you are creating a poster for a course at UNF, ask your instructor or faculty mentor about specific size requirements.
If I find a mistake on my poster after it is printed, do I have to pay to reprint it?
If the OUR makes a mistake printing your poster, we will reprint it for you at no charge. If the error is yours, you (the customer) will be responsible for the full cost of a reprint.
The payment website asks for my shipping address; are you shipping this poster to me?
No. The shipping address is a formal prompt on behalf of the CashNet website. We do not ship posters.