William D. Ford Direct Loan Instructions
Every step must be complete at least two weeks before the end of the eligible enrollment period to provide necessary processing time.
Step 1: Accept your award in myWings
- Login to the myWings portal.
- Find the Financial Aid Tile and then Financial Aid Awards.
- Specify the aid year in the drop down box and click Submit.
- Select the Accept Award Offer tab to see the awards that have been offered to you. Any scholarships or grants are automatically accepted on your behalf. However, you must accept or decline loans and/or work study.
- Click on the drop box next to each award to Accept, Decline or Decide Later. You may accept a partial amount by typing in the box provided. Note: Decisions cannot be changed online once submitted. To make changes to an award after submitting your decision (i.e., changing the amount or accepting a declined loan), you must submit a Loan Action Request Form.
- Click Submit Decision.
- Verify that your awards have been accepted by scrolling down and confirming the status.
Step 2: Sign a Master Promissory Note
- When going online to sign your Master Promissory Note, be sure to have your driver’s license, social security number and 2 references (with complete addresses) ready.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov. From the Manage My Direct Loan menu, sign in to your profile. You will need your FSA ID (the same one you used for your FAFSA) to complete. If you do not remember your FSA ID, visit the Department of Education’s FSA ID website www.fsaid.ed.gov.
- Select Complete Master Promissory Note and follow the directions to complete your Promissory Note. Be certain to choose UNF from the “Schools” drop down list to ensure timely delivery and processing of your loan.
- Save or print your Promissory Note for your records. Your promissory note does NOT need to be sent to UNF. We will be notified electronically that you have completed it.
Step 3: Complete Online Entrance Counseling
- If you did not complete Online Entrance Counseling as part of your MPN process, please follow the instructions below.
- Go to www.studentloans.gov. Sign in to your profile from the Manage My Direct Loan menu box then
- Select Complete Entrance Counseling. Select undergraduate or graduate/professional depending on your student level.
Note: Only masters or doctoral level program students at UNF should select the graduate/professional option.
- This Entrance Counseling is a 20-30 minute online tutorial that serves to educate you on your rights and responsibilities as a loan borrower. Throughout the tutorial you will be asked questions which you must answer correctly to successfully complete the session.
- Print your Entrance Counseling confirmation page for your records. The confirmation page does NOT need to be submitted to UNF. We will receive notification electronically that you have completed it.