Transformational Learning Opportunity Pedagogy Resources
The University of North Florida's Transformational Learning Opportunities (TLO) program, established by President Delaney in fall, 2005, sets the occasion for students to participate in experiences which have the potential to transform their understanding of the world, other people, their own lives. TLOs can take the shape of international experiences, community involvement, leadership activities, and research with a UNF faculty member.
Study Abroad | Service Learning | Undergraduate Research | Internships | Independent Study | Cooperative Learning
- International Center at UNF - The University of North Florida provides resources for faculty to get started with professional development, find grants, and resources.
- Study Abroad and Study Abroad Programs - StudyAbroad.com is a source of information on educational opportunities for students to study in other countries. It provides a guide to education abroad, health and safety and scholarship information.
- Center for Global Education Study Abroad Programs - The mission of the Center for Global Education at Augsburg College is to provide cross-cultural educational opportunities in order to foster critical evaluation of local and global conditions so that personal, organizational, and systemic change takes place, leading to a more just and sustainable world.
- Frontiers - The purpose of Frontiers is to publish thought-provoking research articles, insightful essays, and concise book reviews that may provide the profession of study abroad an intellectual charge, document some of the best thinking and innovative programming in the field, create an additional forum for dialogue among colleagues in international education, and ultimately enrich our perspectives and bring greater meaning to our work.
- Forum on Education Abroad - The Forum on Education Abroad was created in 2001 to meet the needs of the education abroad profession. Our members include educational institutions, consortia, agencies, and organizations, as well as individual leaders in the field.
- Augsburg College - Augsburg College is a cutting edge university transforming education and study abroad opportunities.
- UCF Service Learning - UCF defines service-learning as "a teaching method that uses community involvement to apply theories or skills being taught in a course."
- National Service-Learning Clearinghouse - Service-Learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.
- Learn & Serve America - Service-learning engages students in the educational process by encouraging them to apply their learning to solve real-life problems. From individual efforts to school-wide projects, they are learning inside and outside of the classroom, creating mentoring programs, improving the environment, and tackling other community issues.
- Campus Compact - Campus Compact is a national coalition of more than 1000 college and university presidents, dedicated to promoting community service, civic engagement, and service-learning in higher education.
- Florida Campus Compact - Information and resources available to help you make teaching easier for Florida's public and private institutions of higher education.
- Leaving the Lectern - Cooperative Learning and the Critical First Days of Students - Working in Groups by Dean A. McManus (2005).
- The Complete Guide to Service Learning: Proven, Practical Ways to Engage Students in Civic Responsibility, Academic Curriculum, & Social Action by Cathryn Berger Kay (2003).
- New Perspectives In Service-learning: Research To Advance The Field (Advances in Service-Learning Research) by International K-h Service-learning Resea, Shelley H. Billig, and Marshall Welch (2004).
- Learning through Serving: A Student Guidebook for Service-Learning across the Disciplines by Christine M. Cress, Peter J. Collier, and Vicki L. Reitenauer (2005).
- Where's the Learning in Service-Learning? by Janet Eyler, Dwight E. Jr. Giles, and Dwight E. Giles (1999).
- Service-Learning in Higher Education: Concepts and Practices by Barbara Jacoby and Associates, Foreword by Thomas Ehrlich (1996).
- Council On Undergraduate Research - The Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) and its affiliated colleges, universities, and individuals share a focus on providing undergraduate research opportunities for faculty and students at predominantly undergraduate institutions.
- Undergraduate Research - The University of Central Florida offers numerous opportunities for undergraduates to pursue research in various disciplines under the direction of a faculty member. This intensive research opportunity enhances the academic experience and challenges students to strengthen their critical, analytical, and writing skills.
- Intergrated Research and Undergraduate Education - This site reports about the efforts to integrate undergraduate learning with research, scholarship and creative activity.
- Assessment And Evaluation Of The Undergraduate Research Experience- Joanne L. Stewert, a professor in chemistry at Hope College offers insight on assessment and evaluation of undergraduate research.
- Research and Undergraduate Research - As one of the nation's vanguard research universities and leading educational institutions, the University of Michigan assumes a special responsibility for ensuring that our extensive effort in research, scholarship and creative activity adds value to the education of our undergraduate students.
Internships, Coops, Practicums, and Field-Work (Community-Based Research)
- Experiential Learning - This group is the instructional arm of Career Services & Experiential Learning at the University of Central Florida, a joint venture between Student Development and Enrollment Services and Undergraduate Studies. Its role is to promote, develop, and expand applied learning options throughout the university and to dovetail these efforts with Career Services
- Professional Practice Program at Purdue - The mission of the Office of Professional Practice is to facilitate the experiential, practical education of Purdue University students within the traditional learning component of the institution’s strategic triad, further academic research within the field of Professional Practice, and assist the traditional academic units with engagement through enhanced contact with employer host organizations.
- National Commission for Cooperative Education - The National Commission for Cooperative Education (NCCE) is dedicated to advancing cooperative education throughout the United States. Since 1962, the Commission and its college and business members have supported the development of quality work-integrated learning programs through: National Advocacy Executive Outreach Public Awareness Students & Parent Response Center Research & Education.
- Center for Distance and Independent Study - The Center for Distance and Independent Study (CDIS) at the University of Missouri has established itself as a national model and leader in the field of distance and continuing education. Originally formed as an independent study division in 1911, CDIS has an uninterrupted history of providing award-winning individualized learning opportunities to students away from the campus. The Center specializes in serving students, including adult learners and working professionals, through courses at the university, high school, and noncredit levels.
Cooperative Learning and Others