Skip to Main Content

Military and Veterans Benefits

University of North Florida Request for Veteran Benefits and Statement of Responsibility


You must submit the online "Request for Veterans Benefits" form through myWings to request the processing of VA education benefits and acknowledge your VA education benefit responsibilities. Failure to complete this online form will prevent the UNF VA Certifying Officials from completing your benefits application and certification of enrollment. You may only complete this form once. Changes may be requested via the "Request to Change Veterans Benefits" form.

Accessing the online "Request for Veterans Benefits" form

  • Login to your myWings account and click on Student Records.
  • Select Student Self Service (this will open a new tab and you may have to log in again).
  • Select Online Forms.

    Scroll all the way down and below the Veterans Affairs section you will be able to click on the hyperlink for "Request for Veterans Benefits," and/or complete a "Request to Change Veteran Benefits." The online "Request for Veterans Benefits" form will ask you for information regarding your veteran file number and benefits chapter so please be sure to have that information handy. In addition, you will be provided the option to upload documents such as your DD-214 or Certificate of Eligibility. Ignore the option to upload documents from VONAPP. Please be sure and read over the Statement of Responsibility and check the boxes acknowledging you understand your rights and responsibilities here at UNF.

  • Click the box at the bottom of the screen to SUBMIT your request. You will receive an email confirmation when your request has been processed by a VA Certifying Official.

Information regarding the Statement of Responsibility

  • The UNF VA Certifying Officials will automatically certify eligible coursework as associated with your elected degree.
  • Any coursework you take must be required for your certificate or program, as eligible per the State Approving Agency.
  • Any reductions or changes to your enrollment will be processed by the UNF VA Certifying Officials in a timely manner. Reductions may affect benefits retroactively to the beginning of the term unless mitigating circumstances exist.
  • Changes to enrollment after certification may result in a balance due to the Department of Veterans Affairs or the University of North Florida.
  • VA tuition deferments for chapters other than the Post 9/11 G.I. BillĀ® must be requested prior to the first day of classes. Only deferments for the Post 9/11 G.I. BillĀ® are automatic. Failure to pay your balance in full by the due date will prevent you from receiving a deferment in the future.
  • You will not be entitled to benefits if/when you fail to attend your classes regularly or enroll in a program not specifically approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs State Approving Agency.
  • Submitting the online form affirms that the information provided is correct and true to the best of your knowledge.

Information for students pursuing a certificate through the Department of Continuing Education

Students pursuing one of the UNF Department of Continuing Education certificate programs will not have access to myWings. Instead, questions regarding utilizing VA Education Benefits for Continuing Education programs should be directed to the Continuing Education office by calling (904) 620-4200 or via e-mail. For more information about the Department of Continuing Education please visit their website.

Disclosure of Social Security numbers

The State University System of Florida operated a system of records prior to January 1, 1975, pursuant to regulations of the Florida Board of Regents that required the use of Social Security numbers. Therefore each university may continue to require the disclosure of Social Security numbers by applicants and students under the Federal Privacy Act of 1974. This information was and currently is received from you for the purpose of identification and verification of student records including registration, financial aid, and academic records and of verification of your identity in connection with the provision of university services.

Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application processes, and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services.


Active duty service members who intend to use military Tuition Assistance (TA) should:

  • Request a tuition assistance voucher from their respective branch of service, and
  • Visit their Education Services Officer or Education Counselor.

Each branch handles tuition assistance differently. Some branches will send tuition assistance vouchers electronically while some require the student to submit a hard copy to their school. For more information, contact your military branch for details on your eligibility and the branch's process for submitting the tuition assistance forms.

Please visit Student Financial Services to submit your voucher or confirm processing.


Note: Students cannot use Post 9/11 and TA in excess of 100% of their tuition/fees, and the VA Educational Benefits will be adjusted accordingly.