The Jacksonville Commitment
What is The Jacksonville Commitment?
Thousands of Duval County public school students who have the desire to further their educational goals may fear that they lack the resources to continue their academic careers beyond high school. However, many students may qualify for scholarships. The University of North Florida offers The Jacksonville Commitment scholarships to eligible students who meet the academic standards required for admission to the University.
Many students are unsure what to expect when attending college for the first time. The Jacksonville Commitment program will help introduce college culture to students and will provide on-campus activities to familiarize The Jacksonville Commitment students with UNF, allowing for a smoother transition period between high school and college.
How can I qualify?
To be a candidate for The Jacksonville Commitment Scholarship, students must be:
- Admitted to the University of North Florida
- A recent Duval County public high school graduate with a standard high school diploma
- A Florida resident for tuition purposes
- Eligible for the Free and Reduced lunch program
- Eligible for the Pell Grant*
*Eligibility for the Pell Grant is determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To complete the 2019-20 FAFSA, please visit https://fafsa.ed.gov/.
Priority consideration will be given to students who complete The Jacksonville Commitment Scholarship application and submit an error-free FAFSA. Please note that even though you may meet all of the requirements, you still have to submit an application to be considered. The 2018-19 application has closed. We are no longer accepting applications for the 2019-20 academic year. The 2020-21 application will be available early Fall 2019.
How do I apply?
- Be admitted into UNF.
- Submit an error-free FAFSA (priority consideration is given to students who submit their FAFSA by October 15 each year).
- Log into your myWings portal.
- Click the Student Records box, then select the Student Self-Service link.
- Click on the Admissions link.
- Choose the Scholarship Application link to apply.
UNF has committed to providing funding to help with the cost of tuition for eligible students. The scholarship award is valued at $24,000 over four years.
Parent participation and investment are critical for student success. Parents will be involved and informed throughout the program. Information sessions intended for parents will include (but not be limited to) financial planning, financial aid, and how to encourage children to pursue academic excellence.