Virtual Private Network (VPN)
What is a VPN?
A VPN is a method of connecting to a private network (UNF's network) by way of a public network (the Internet) securely. A VPN connection is not needed to read email.
UNF uses a VPN application called FortiClient that is easy to install and set up. A VPN is a method of connecting to a private network (UNF's network) by way of a public network (the Internet) securely. Follow the directions on this web page to get started. For assistance with connecting to the VPN contact the ITS Help Desk
Setup with FortiClient:
The instructions for setting up a VPN connection using FortiClient are below.
VPN Web Portal
The VPN web portal is a method of connecting to UNF resources directly in your browser. It allows users to download the full VPN client, RDP/SSH into devices on the UNF network, and browse websites only available on the UNF network
Connecting to Remote Desktop via VPN Web Portal
- Login to the VPN web portal, using your UNFID and password
- Use the "Quick Connection" or "New Bookmark" links to create a new connection.
- Select the connection method (RDP for Windows or VNC for OSX) and fill out the fully qualified host name or IP address.
- You can select the "Use SSL-VPN Credentials" if you would like to login to that device with the same credentials you used to login to the VPN web portal.
- Change the Security drop down to: "Allow the server to choose the type"
- Select Launch to have the session start in a new window.
Q: The VPN didn't connect and told me that I'm not authorized to use the service.
A: Duo 2FA is required to use the VPN. Please enroll and ensure that your settings are correct at: https://mfa.unf.edu
Q: My FortiClient connection progress stops at 45%
A: Please check your phone for the Duo push notification. If you are a Duo Token or Code user, you must enter your password at the VPN login prompt as Password,Code - Example: BigSwoopingOsprey,652452