Web: Student Group Pages
UNF provides hosting space on the www.unf.edu
domain for the publication of student organization Web pages. Student organizations are responsible for the development and maintenance of sites, as well as acquiring the necessary software to do so.
- Web address will be in the format of www.unf.edu/groups/clubname.
- Requires SFTP connections for upload
- Supports basic HTML and CSS only
- Does not support databases, ASP, Wordpress, Frontpage extensions etc
Currently active student organizations, as approved by Club Alliance
- Student groups must acquire access to the necessary HTML editing & SFTP software to create and maintain the website.
- Student groups must actively maintain the website and keep content current. Sites that show no activity or edits for over
one year will be considered abandoned and removed from the server.
- Adhere to UNF's policy for Developing and Publishing Web Pages.
- Adhere to UNF's policy for Network Acceptable Use.
How to Request Access
Contact email@example.com to assist with the following:
Setup of Web Space
- Your organization may choose any site name for the folder and URL (www.unf.edu/groups/clubname), provided that it is not already taken. The webmaster will help determine options for you. The site name must be lowercase and contain no special characters. Typically, short and succinct is better.
Granting of Permissions
- Student organizations will likely experience turnover in webmaster duties with each academic year. Simply contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an update to site permissions. Requests for changes to permissions will be confirmed with Club Alliance and/or the student organization's advisor.
- Permissions may only be granted to active students and faculty/staff.
- Permissions will be assigned only to individual user accounts only. Thus, when the user leaves UNF, their account and access to the site will be disabled.
- A site may have multiple web editors. A primary and back-up editor are recommended.
How to Use
Connecting to the Server
SFTP (secure file transfer protocol) is used to transfer files from your desktop to the server. Non-secure FTP connections will not work with UNF's server.
Information you will need to setup access:
- Hostname is osprey.unf.edu
- Username is your UNF ID / N number (note: "n" must be lowercase, for example "n00001234")
- Password is your UNF ID password (the same used to access all other UNF accounts, such as myWings).
View a screenshot for configuring via Dreamweaver.
View a screenshot for configuring via SSH.
The full path to your Osprey home page will be /var/www/htdocs/groups/clubname ...where "clubname" is the name of your folder/alias.
Creating the Homepage
The "index.html" (homepage file) must be lowercase.
Viewing your Site
After transferring files to the server, the site can be accessed at www.unf.edu/groups/clubname.