There are two security access levels to a University owned computer: Standard User and Local Administrator. By default, UNF faculty and staff have standard user access rights to their individual workstations. In some cases, they will require local administrator access in support of their teaching, research, business, or service work.
Local administrator access allows the employee to have complete and unrestricted access to the computer. This includes the ability to install any hardware or software, edit the registry, manage the default access accounts and change file level permissions. Local administrator access can make the workstation vulnerable to malware and viruses.
Faculty and staff may request temporary or long term rights to be local administrators of their computers.
1. For immediate and temporary local administrative rights:
Call the Help Desk at 904-620-4357 (HELP). Provide your name, UNF ID, and the decal number of the computer, and explain the need for elevated access (e.g. need to update software already installed on the computer).
2. For long term local administrative rights:
To request local administrator rights on a computer, faculty and staff must complete an online form in myWings.
Completing the Online Request:
Printable instructions (with screen shots) for completing the request form. (Is being updated)
- To make a request, log into myWings and select the "Staff" tab.
- Look in the "My Applications" channel and click on "Employee Online Forms"
- Look in the channel called "Employee Online Forms" and click on "Local Admin Requests".
- Fill in the fields as requested on the form, including the decal number (of the computer you are wanting local administrator rights on) and the location of the computer. Be sure to provide a justification for your request.
- Under the section, "Additional Information", use the magnifying icon to search and find your supervisor. You can search by N Then click "next"
- Use the magnifying icon to search for your College or Departmental Technician (CTech).
- Click "Submit" when you are done.
The Approval Process:
- The form is forwarded to the supervisor to "Approve" or "Disapprove". The supervisor may add comments on the request.
- If the request was approved by the supervisor, it is forwarded to ITS.
The following recommendations are also adopted:
Once approved, employees retain local administrator rights as long as they exhibit appropriate and responsible behavior with respect to local administrative rights and do not jeopardize the integrity of the University’s resources.
- Those individuals currently operating as a local administrator shall submit a request to retain these rights.
- ITS has the authority to take away an individual’s privileges in cases where exceptional risk has been introduced by a user with local administrator rights.
- A request for rights must be made on each computer (for example, if you receive a new computer, a new request is required even though you had rights on your old computer).