Study Abroad with UNF
Anyone can study abroad. You can study abroad in any major, at any time during your time at UNF, and you can study abroad just about anywhere you would like. You can even study abroad multiple times. The UNF International Center will help you explore your options so you can make your best choice when it comes to studying abroad.
UNF offers a variety of types of programs including UNF Exchanges, UNF Faculty Led,
and Other Opportunities Abroad.
UNF continues to rank among the top 20 universities nationwide for the total number of study abroad students in our Carnegie Classification. UNF was 15th in the nation in 2015-16 for total number of study abroad students among master’s institutions, according to Open Doors 2017, the latest annual report in international education published by the Institute of International Education with funding from the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. In the “Short-Term” study abroad duration category, UNF ranks #10 in the nation among master’s institutions.
Why Study Abroad?
- Studying abroad can be the highlight of your
time at UNF. Study abroad is an
opportunity to experience a new culture, experience a different style of
education, make new friends, discover new interests and see the world.
- Although knowing another language is certainly
not a requirement, studying abroad gives you an opportunity to learn and
practice another language.
- We work with you and your Academic Advisors to
find coursework that works towards your degree.
- We work with you and your Financial Aid Advisor
to use your existing Financial Aid package and find new scholarships to help
make your study abroad possible.
- Study abroad looks great to future employers and
How to Get Started
Although the study abroad process can seem daunting, we are here for you every step of the way.
The International Center hosts a weekly information session
every Tuesday from 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 11 a.m. -12 p.m. (Fall and Spring) in the International
Center Conference Room, Student Union building 58E, Suite 2300.
Here you will learn about your many study abroad options,
resources, including scholarships, as well as a glimpse into the study abroad
- You can do a variety of activities abroad for
- Types of Programs can be divided into 3
categories: Faculty Led ,
Other Opportunities Abroad. You can study abroad, participate in an
internship, teach abroad or volunteer.
- Consider where you would like to go, when, for
how long, and what you would like to study.
- Your Academic Advisor and First Year Academic Advising will assist you in selecting your course work abroad.
- Determine how your study abroad plans best fit
into your program of study.eclare major/minor.
- It is important to have declared your major and
or minor prior to studying abroad so that courses taken abroad can be applied
to your degree appropriately.
- Look at your degree evaluation.
- You must have a good understanding of the
coursework you have already completed and what courses you still need to
- Use this information to help you narrow down
your program options.
Student Financial Services can help answer your questions about your existing scholarships and aid.
- In many instances, your existing financial aid package can be used towards your study abroad program.
- Help find additional scholarships.
- Look at budgeting and payment options for your time abroad.
- Use this information to help you narrow down your program options.
- Meet with your Study Abroad Advisor. Let us know what program you have selected and during what term you plan to study abroad.
- We will then give you instructions to complete the Study Abroad Application via your mywings account.
Information Sessions & Workshops
the year the International Center hosts Information Sessions and Workshops
about different aspects of studying abroad and international happenings on
campus. Check back here frequently for
the most up to date event information.
Every Tuesday, 3:30 p.m. -4:30 p.m., in the International
Center Conference Room, Student
Union building 58E, Suite 2300.
Every Friday, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m., (Fall and Spring) in the International Center
Conference Room, StudentUnion building 58E, Suite 2300.
Here you will learn
about your many study abroad options and resources, including scholarships, as
well as a glimpse into the study abroad process.
Thursday, August 22, 2019, 3 p.m. – 5 p.m., in the Student Union, 58W, 3804
Join us and meet up
with fellow study abroad alumni. Share
stories from study-abroad trips, and share your travel advice with others.
Information about upcoming scholarships, specific faculty-led exchanges, travel
tips/tricks and general information on the study-abroad process will be
available; light refreshments will be served.
September 17, 2019, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., in the John A. Delaney Student Union Plaza
Learn about study-abroad programs,
scholarships, specific faculty-led exchanges, the application process and
travel tips/tricks from other University students/faculty, study-abroad
advisors, vendors and global exchange partners from around the world. The UPS
Store will be taking passport photos available for purchase. There will be
light refreshments, including Rita's Italian Ice, an interactive photo booth
and other activities.
November 18 - 22, 2019
Events throughout the
week will include International Trivia with Campus Life, Wanna’ Taco ‘Bout
Study Abroad with First Year Advising, Twisted Tuesday, an International Menu
at the Café, our World Fest Village and an International Research Exhibit with
Make an appointment
After attending a Study Abroad Basics Information Session,
make an appointment with your Study Abroad Advisor.
Let them know what program you have selected and
during what term you plan to study abroad.
They will then give you instructions to complete
the Study Abroad Application via your myWings account.
Your Study Abroad Advisor will help you through
the entire process, including while abroad, and after you return.
- The UNF International Center can help you with:
- Pre-departure advising
- Student Passport and Visa Support
- International Health Insurance
- Transcripts from Accredited Institutions abroad
- 24-Hour Emergency Assistance
- Scholarship Opportunities
- Welcome and Farewell Events
- Alumni Outreach
And much more!
Study Abroad Alum