Study Abroad - UNF Exchanges
I. Program Information
- Once accepted into a study abroad program, I agree to attend all required orientation sessions.
- If on an activity for academic credit, such as a UNF Exchange or Third Party program, I agree (1) to work conscientiously with an appropriate UNF Academic Advisor in the selection of courses to be completed in my Study Abroad program, and (2) to complete with an Advisor an Concurrent Enrollment Form pre-approving the courses I will complete abroad so that each course taken abroad (if passed) will count as transfer credit earned towards my UNF Program of Study. I recognize that completion of a UNF Concurrent/Transient Student Form, required for pre-approval of transfer credits, does not constitute traveling under UNF auspices.
- Should it be necessary for me to cancel prior to starting the program, withdraw during the program, or otherwise modify my participation in the study abroad program, I agree to inform the International Center in writing immediately. I will also notify, as applicable, my Academic Advisor, the host institution or program, and any third party provider I may be using. I understand that verbal notification of cancellation, withdrawal, or participation modification is not considered official, that only I may withdraw from or modify my program participation, and that I must officially withdraw from any UNF course(s) associated with the study abroad program.
- I understand that the International Center and Host reserve the right to make program changes, modifications, or substitutions deemed necessary for achieving program goals and participant safety.
II. Program Information
- I agree to pay tuition, fees, transportation, lodging, insurance, supplies, and any other study abroad program costs and fees according to the terms designated by the University, the International Center, and/or the Host. I understand that these costs and fees may be subject to increase (1) in the event that fees are raised by associated foreign institutions and/or (2) in the event of weakening of the U.S. dollar against the currency of a program host country. I agree to pay any additional costs as identified by UNF or the Host, either before departure, during the activity abroad, or after the trip, as required.
- I understand that if I do not pay all appropriate program costs and fees by the required due date(s) the International Center and/or Host reserve the right to cancel my program participation.
- I agree to the cancellation and refund policies of UNF and the Host, and accept the financial liabilities they specify.
- I understand the refund of Host program costs/fees shall be subject to the refund policies of the host program.
- I understand that tuition refunds for UNF courses will be made per UNF tuition refund policies.
III. Medical Issues and Insurance
- I understand that UNF does not employ health care professional overseas and cannot guarantee my access to medical services and facilities abroad. I further understand that UNF does not discriminate against individuals who have physical disabilities or have had physical, medical, emotional or mental disorders.
Note: A medical examination is not required by UNF for participation in a study abroad program. However, if a student has a history of any medical or psychiatric problems during the past two years, it is strongly advised that the student consult before departure with a U.S. medical professional to discuss the potential stress and difficulty of study abroad, as well as the continuation of any special treatments, diets, or prescriptions while abroad. Appropriate treatments - either physical or psychological - may not be as readily available abroad as in the United States. Although the very personal nature of these issues is recognized, students are encouraged to discuss their need(s) with the appropriate UNF representative so that proper, professional and adequate advice and assistance may be arranged. Students should fully understand that there may be added costs asociated with such added support (in seeking professional advice, above and beyond that of conversation between student and host institution/organization representative) and that they bear the full responsibility for such costs. General information on health and traveling abroad is available through UNF's Travel Clinic in Student Health Services (Building 39A / Room 2100; phone (904) 620-2175.).
- I agree to obtain any/all immunizations and to observe other health precautions as recommended by my personal physician or the UNF Travel Clinic, as required for travel to and living in the country(ies) associated with my study abroad program.
- I understand that UNF policy requires all study abroad students to have accident/health insurance and emergency medical assistance (including medical evacuation and repatriation of remains) applicable abroad for the specific program-defined duration of study and directly related travel time. I am solely responsible for obtaining this insurance coverage as required by UNF policy and will not be allowed to receive UNF funding or to have my travel approved by UNF until proper documentation confirming adequate coverage is submitted to and accepted by the International Center.
- If I am participating in a program that provides insurance for the specific program dates only, and if I decide to depart for the U.S. earlier and if I decide to depart from the U.S. earlier and/or return later in order to have personal travel time abroad, I understand that the International Center strongly recommends maintaining emergency assistance and accident/health insurance for the full time of my stay abroad.
- I understand that, though covered by an appropriate international insurance policy, I may be required to pay for overseas medical services in advance, and then file claims for reimbursement of medical expenses directly with the insurance company upon my return. I understand that insurance coverage exceeding the University's arrangements may be obtained individually.
- The International Center strongly discourages students from operating motor vehicles (cars, scooters, boats, or other motorized vehicles) and urges them to refrain from participating in certain activities identified by insurance companies as hazardous or life threatening (professional sports, scuba diving, hang gliding, parachuting, bungee jumping, etc.) Such activities often invalidate any existing life, medical or liability insurance normally carried by students, parents, or institutions.
IV. Reasonable Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
If you have a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and may require an accommodation or auxiliary aid(s) for the study abroad experience, please contact and register with the UNF Disability Resource Center (located in COEHS, Building 57/1500; phone (904) 620-2769; email firstname.lastname@example.org). Military and veteran students who may need physical and/or academic accommodations should contact the Director for Military and Vererans Resource Center (57/2700) by emailing email@example.com; calling (904) 620-5131 or visiting the MVRC website.
Please note that foreign countries do not have to comply with the public access requirements of the ADA and there may be physical or other barriers that impair equal access to medical care, lodgings, restaurants, businesses and other buildings, services or facilties in foreign locales. Students with disabilities are strongly encouraged to research the access and service limitations of the locales to be visited. Further, prior to applying to the study abroad program, the student should meet with the Study Abroad Advisor to ascertain whether the student will be able to participate in all activities of the study abroad program, or can participate in alternate activities to meet program objectives.
V. Other Student Responsibilities
Students approved for a study abroad program must be mature persons who want to participate because of a genuine interest in the educational and cultural values acquired by studying in a foreign setting. Each student has a personal responsibility for the success of their study abroad program and each must exercise good judgment, respect the rights and feelings of others, and subscribe to the laws and customs of the host country as well as UNF regulations. Specifically, I understand that while a participant in study abroad, I am fully subject to UNF rules, regulations, and policies, including those contained within the UNF Student Handbook. I agree to adhere strictly to such rules, regulations, and policies during my participation in this study abroad program. Furthermore, I understand and accept that should the UNF International Center, in consulation with appropriate UNF campus officers, deem any of my behavior and/or activities dangerous or detrimental to any program goal(s) or participant(s), my parents or guardians may be informed and I consent to this disclosure.
VI. Photography/Testimonial Release
In consideration of the opportunity to gain experience as a model and for other valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, I hereby grant to the University of North Florida Board of Trustees, a public body corporate (UNF), and those acting pursuant to its authority the absolute right and permission to:
- Record my participation and appearance on videotape, audiotape, film, photograph or any other medium.
- Use my name, likeness, voice and biographical material in connection with these recordings.
- Exhibit or distribute such recording in whole or in part without restrictions or limitation for any educational or promotional purpose which UNF, and those acting pursuant to its authority, deem appropriate.
I further grant to UNF the right to copyright such pictures and images in its own name or to publish, to market and to assign without further consideration, compensation or report to me.
I hereby waive any rights or interests that I might have in the pictures and images, including any rights to inspect and/or approve the finished photographs and images or the use of which they might be applied so long as their use shall be lawful.
I, on behalf of myself, my family, heirs, and personal representatives, expressly release, discharge and agree to hold harmless The University of North Florida Board of Trustees, the Florida Board of Education, the State of Florida, their officers, representatives, agents, employees and assigns from and against any and all claims, demands and causes of action which I might have arising from any actual or alleged violation or infringement of any trademark, trade name, contract, agreement, copyright (comon law or statutory), patent, invasion of privacy, defamation, or any other cause of action arising out of the production, distribution and exhibition of the photographs and images. I agree that this Release shall be construed pursuant ot the laws of the State of Florida. Venue for any legal proceeding concerning this Release shall be Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida.
VII. Risks of Travel
- I am fully aware of the risks and hazards associated with foreign travel and residence, and I acknowledge that my participation in this study abroad program is a voluntary act that I have elected and is not required.
- I understand that I am solely responsible for obtaining and keeping safe my passport, visa, money, bank/credit cards, tickets, jewelry and other personal property; and that I hereby waive any and all claims against the University of North Florida and other agents for any expenses or losses due to my failure to obtain these papers or to safeguard properly these items or any other property of mine.
- International travel is always subject to unexpected changes, delays and even cancellations. I understand that Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance is not included in the emergency assistance and health insurance coverage provided by the International Center. If I desire additional individual Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance it is my responsibility to obtain it. I understand that I may contact the International Center for aid in this, but the Insurance choice is mine alone.