News & Upcoming Events
Peace Corps Prep Events
Peace Corps and the Sectors
Join the International Center in learning about Peace Corps and its six sectors of service: Health, Education, Environment, Agriculture, Youth in Development and Community Economic Development.
Wednesday, April 14
Spring 2021 - Study Abroad Info Sessions
Students can join virtual info sessions each month via Zoom ID: 966 8545 8964
Other Opportunities Abroad - Study Abroad Information Sessions
3:30 - 4:30 p.m.
NEW! Are you a new international student applying to UNF? You may be eligible for a scholarship!
International Center Student Awards 2020
- The International Center will recognize one UNF international student and one UNF Study Abroad Alum of the year.
- Winners will be announced at the 29th Annual International Dinner Dance held Friday, April 3, 2020.
- You can apply yourself or nominate someone you feel is deserving of the award. If nominating someone, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the individual's name and email address.
- This award program is open to current UNF students only.
- Completed Application Form.
- A copy of your resume (to include club activities, study abroad experiences, and volunteer work).
- Each application must be accompanied by one essay on "The Value of International Education" (typed, two full pages maximum, one side only, double spaced, times new roman, 12 pt font).
- Entries must be submitted or emailed to the UNF International Center (email@example.com) no later than Friday, 5:00 pm on March 27, 2020.
- 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA.
All essays submitted will become the property of the UNF International Center and will not be returned. Submitted application implies consent for use of essay, in whole or in part, by UNF International Center public relations materials, including but not limited to displays, publications, flyers, posters, social media and website with attribution to the writer.
Download Application Form
Outstanding International Leadership Awards
Nominate a faculty member who has made a significant contribution to internationalizing UNF.
- Outstanding International Leadership Award for Full or Assoc. Professor
- Outstanding International Leadership Award for Asst. Professor, Lecturer, or Instructor
Nominate a USPS or Administrative staff member who has made a significant contribution to internationalizing UNF.
- Outstanding International Leadership Award for for UNF Staff
International Education Week 2020
From November 16th until November 20th
For more information on the daily events read below!
Monday (November 16th)
Online Book Display
The International Center is partnering with the Thomas G Carpenter Library to host an Online Book Display for IEW! Starting November 16th, you will be able to access many international resources including ebooks, media, and free resources. Check out the book display here: https://libguides.unf.edu/bookdisplay.
Pick up a FREE international themed face mask! Limited quantities will be available in the Osprey Café, UNF Library, English Language Program, and International Center. Make sure to pick up your mask early in the week before supplies run out!
Zoom Background Challenge
The International Center challenges you to highlight our diversity on campus by making your country flag your Zoom background for the entire week of IEW. Take a screen shot of yourself on Zoom with your country flag background and tag us on social media!
Follow Us on Social Media
Check out our social media throughout the week of IEW for fun stories every day highlighting different cultures! Follow us on Instagram (@unfinternationalctr), Facebook (@UNFIC), and Twitter (@UNFIntl)
Tuesday (November 17th)
Peace Corps Prep Event
Students can join via Zoom ID: 937 6349 4368 @ 10:00 am
The Peace Corps Prep Event will include a presentation from the program co-advisors detailing the certificate program. During the event, students can also hear from a PC Prep Alumni on how the program benefited their career after graduation.
Join us virtually via Zoom ID: 937 6349 4368 @ 11:00 am
Students wishing to study abroad can apply for the Student Affairs International Learning Scholarship (SAILS). This competitive scholarship provides funding for approved undergraduate and graduate international educational experiences that enrich academic/individual development. Scholarship recipients may receive either $1,500 to support a short-term (less than 10 weeks) international activity or $2,500 for a long-term (10 weeks or longer) international activity. The scholarship is funded by the Student Life and Services Fee. Join us virtually on Tuesday, November 17th from 11-12pm to learn more.
Wednesday (November 18th)
Osprey Café will be offering an international cuisine option on Wednesday, November 18th. You won't want to miss this fun meal!
- Chicken Enchilada casserole
- Argentinian Chimichurri Pork Loin
- Fajita Vegetables
- Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- Black Bean & Spinach Enchiladas
- Action Station: Chilled Soba Noodles with Seared Tofu
Thursday (November 19th)
Discussion Panel: International Viewpoints on Artificial Intelligence
Students can join via Zoom ID: 934 9153 8534 @ 1:00 pm
The English Language Program will be hosting a panel on Thursday, November 19th in which students are going to discuss the use of AI in various settings around the world.
Join us during International Education Week for a special virtual cooking demonstration with Chef Dennis Chan, owner of Blue Bamboo in Jacksonville. Chef Chan, who specializes in Asian comfort cuisine, will demonstrate how to elevate your standard noodle into a fancy ramen dish that it is sure to impress! Grab the ingredients and cook along with Chef Chan, or join us just to watch the demonstration.
Date: November 19, 2020
Time: 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM (EST)
Where: Virtual! * Zoom link and ingredient list for this virtual event will be provided to all registered participants at a later date. To register for this event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.