Skip to Main Content

Tax Information

All international students and scholars, including dependents, are required to file a tax return for every year they are in the United States. This is a requirement whether you have earned income or not. Check if any of the following options apply to you and read the instructions on how to prepare your tax return. The deadline to have your tax return filed with the IRS is generally April 15. You are still required to file your tax return for the previous tax year, even if you are no longer in the U.S.


The International Center staff are not tax experts and cannot provide tax advice. The staff does not assist in the completion of individual income tax forms, and are unable to explain tax liability issues to international students, scholars, or staff. For more detailed information you may consult the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified tax consultant regarding your possible U.S. tax obligations. You may also qualify to receive free tax return preparation through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance(VITA) program.

I received income and/or an unqualified scholarship

I did not receive any income

Free software

I don’t have a social security number but I received income and/or a scholarship

Additional resources