Skip to Main Content


F-1 students are eligible to work on-campus and, under special circumstances, off-campus while they study in the United States. You must have a United States Social Security number in order to work in the United States. This is so that taxes can be withheld and a record can be kept of all your employment.


  • On-campus employment
    • One of the benefits of F-1 status is on-campus employment. Students may begin to work on-campus up to 30 days before classes begin. Students may work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during each academic term and full-time when school is not in session (summer holidays and official school holidays).
    • International students do not need additional authorization from their international advisor except for J-1 students. Students may find employment with any on-campus employer and start the paperwork with the Offices of Human Resources and Payroll.
  • Off-campus employment (Severe Economic Hardship) 
    • International students may work off-campus only with special authorization from USCIS for reasons of severe economic hardship after having been in F-1 status for one academic year and only if in good academic standing. Employment is automatically terminated whenever the student fails to maintain status. Students may work part-time during each academic term and fulltime when school is not in session (summer holidays and official school holidays).
    • Please contact your International Student Advisor in order to discuss or apply for off-campus employment due to severe economic hardship.

For off-campus employment, please consult with your International Student Advisor after having reviewed the information about off-campus employment above.