Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship
Each February, the University of North Florida honors the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a scholarship luncheon. Proceeds from the luncheon provide for annual scholarships awarded to undergraduate students. The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship serves to recognize the academic and service achievements of actively engaged students who best exemplify Dr. King's teachings through service and action. Selected recipients will receive a $1,000 scholarship to be used toward their UNF tuition. Any student who meets the following eligibility requirements is encouraged to apply.
Applicants must be UNF Undergraduate students who fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be a full-time undergraduate student at UNF for fall 2020 (full time = 12 hours or more)
- A cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
- Evidence of active engagement in the UNF or surrounding local community
- This includes, but is not limited to, active membership in an organization, community service & volunteer engagement, civic engagement
- All award recipients must be present for the luncheon at noon on Wednesday, Feb. 05, 2020
The 2020 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship application submission deadline was Tuesday, December 17, at 11:59 p.m for electronic submissions; paper applications must be received by 5 p.m. on that same date in the office.
Applicants must submit the following with their completed Application Packet:
A complete application consists of:
- A fully completed electronic application form
- 500 word typed essay using the following prompt: How have you applied the teachings, beliefs, and actions of Dr. Martin Luther, King Jr. in your own life?
- Include specific examples of actions you have taken to influence the world around you and bring about positive change
- Essay should be a PDF or Word file.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from UNF Faculty or Staff
- Letters should be PDF or Word files. Recommenders should be sure to address why they feel you are deserving of this scholarship.
- A resume documenting your employment, activities and/or volunteer experiences with UNF campus and/or community organizations.
- The resume should be a PDF or Word file.
- Resumes should include start and ending dates.
For questions or concerns
about the scholarship application, contact the Intercultural Center for Peace at (904) 620-2475, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit Building 2, Suite 2100.