Departmental Promotion and Internal Recruitment
Whenever possible, the University of North Florida will seek opportunities to promote current employees. Employees may be eligible for promotional opportunities where managers have determined that a recruitment within the University would be in the best interest of the department. There are two methods by which an employee may be internally promoted and/or recruited.
Where a vacancy exists, or becomes available, in a department or unit, managers will be able to identify and promote staff within their same department or unit who have demonstrated the skills, ability and performance level to be successful in a higher level position.
Eligible employees must:
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the position to which they are being promoted
- Have “satisfactory” or above performance ratings currently on file
- Must satisfy the probationary period requirements of the current position, if applicable
To ensure fairness and equity in review, decisions to promote within a department will require consultation with the Office or Human Resources, and the approval of the appropriate higher-level supervisor.
- Managers must follow the departmental promotion process, which must also include a rationale for the selection
- Managers must meet with the Director of Human Resources, or designee, prior to promoting an employee.
- The Director of Human Resources, or designee, will collaborate with the Director of Equal Opportunity & Diversity as appropriate.
- The Director of Equal Opportunity & Diversity will need to be consulted if the promotion is in a unit which has been identified as having not met representation requirements as per the annual Affirmative Action Plan.
Managers will be held accountable for those decisions.
- Managers will be responsible for informing the members of their staff of their decision prior to the employee starting in the new position.
- For positions of director level and above, approval of the appropriate divisional vice president is required.
- The divisional vice president will meet with the Director of Equal Opportunity & Diversity to review the utilization data for the respective department or unit in keeping with the University’s commitment to diversity and representation at all levels.
- The vice president will advise the President of the proposed action.
Managers may open a position to all current University employees, and only current UNF employees will be eligible to apply.
- Managers must complete a recruitment request within the OASys hiring official site, and indicate on the recruitment request that it is an internal recruitment.
- The Director of Human Resources and the Director of Equal Opportunity & Diversity will need to be consulted in the decision to exercise this option in a unit which has been identified as having not met representation requirements as per the annual Affirmative Action Plan.
- All internal recruitments will be posted online through the current job openings web page.
NOTE: The latest version of the Adobe Reader software is required to view some of the content on this page. You can download the latest version of the free Adobe Reader from the Adobe web page.