Sick Leave Pool
The University maintains a Sick Leave Pool for eligible employees that allows employees to voluntarily pool a portion of their accumulated sick leave, and upon depletion of their own sick, annual and compensatory leave, to draw sick leave credits from the pool for their personal catastrophic injury or illness in accordance with established procedures.
- The use of hours from the sick leave pool is for an employee's serious injury or catastrophic health condition.
- A member of the sick leave pool may apply for benefits up to a maximum of 240 hours in a consecutive 12-month period, with a lifetime maximum of 480 hours. Sick leave pool benefits will be limited to no more than 120 hours per request for full-time employees.
- Once enrolled, an employee does not need to re-enroll. Enrollment continues from year to year.
- An employee may only enroll during the open enrollment period of November 1st through November 30th.
Sick leave pool eligibility:
- The program is available to current faculty, administrative or support staff employees with at least 12 months of continuous service. Student and Other Personnel Services (OPS) employees are not eligible.
- A sick leave balance of at least 64 hours is required at the time of enrollment.
- A one-time donation of eight hours of sick leave to the sick leave pool is required upon enrollment. An additional eight hours of sick leave may be requested if the pool drops to an unacceptable level.
Other sick leave pool stipulations:
- Participation in the sick leave pool does not guarantee that hours may be withdrawn from the sick leave pool. The University reserves the right to deny a request for sick leave pool benefits when the application for benefits or medical verification is incomplete, or the request does not conform to the sick leave pool usage policy. (See University Sick Leave Policy for occurrences or situations that are not applicable for sick leave pool benefits.)
- A sick leave pool member must deplete, or will have depleted, all accrued compensatory time, sick leave, annual leave and personal leave prior to being granted the use of sick leave pool hours.
- If an employee meets the criteria to receive disability benefits under an applicable University, private insurance policy or government program, the employee is no longer eligible to use sick leave pool hours.
- If an employee has time off due to a job-related injury covered by workers' compensation benefits, the employee is not eligible to use sick leave pool hours for the time designated as workers' compensation.
- If the sick leave pool committee issues a decision denying an application for membership, a request for sick leave pool benefits or a request to cancel membership in the sick leave pool, an employee may appeal such decision within five calendar days. The appeal must be made in writing to the President or designee, and the decision of the President or designee shall be final.
Applying for membership:
Requesting sick leave pool benefits:
- Questions may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (904) 620-2903, or for additional information online, view the Frequently Asked Questions.
NOTE: The latest version of the Adobe Reader software is required to view some of the content on this page. You can download the latest version of the free Adobe Reader from the Adobe web page.