The below information is taken from the University's policy on Hours of Work, Benefits and Leave Requirements (4.0120P) and the U. S. Department of Labor's Fair Labor Standards Act provision.
- Overtime pay* is only available to non-exempt support staff employees.
- Overtime must be approved by the appropriate supervisor prior to the hours being worked.
- It is a supervisor's responsibility to ensure that unauthorized overtime is not worked.
- An employee's work schedule should be arranged so that overtime is usually not required.
- In situations where the department's mission can't be carried out unless overtime work is authorized, overtime work may be allowed.
- Overtime pay may only be earned if the employee has physically worked more than 40 hours in one work-week.
- Overtime may not be earned in the same week that leave is used.
- Overtime earned will be paid no later than the following pay period
- Overtime is defined as work that is required or permitted beyond the 40 hour University work week.
- Departments should follow any procedures established by their Vice President for obtaining prior authorization for use of overtime.
- Exempt support staff employees who are required to work more than 40 hours in a work week are eligible for regular compensatory leave on an hour-for-hour basis.
* Non-exempt support staff employees may choose to elect compensatory leave in lieu of overtime pay. Refer to the compensatory leave page for more information.