Student Recruitment and Employment
Eligibility: Only current UNF students are eligible to work student positions. An individual is no longer considered a current student if:
- They have graduated from UNF
- They have declared separation from UNF (e.g., the individual has notified their hiring department that they will no longer by attending UNF)
- They have not been enrolled in classes for at least 2 consecutive semesters
- International students on F-1 and J-1 visas may work on-campus a maximum of 20 hours per week when classes are in session. Working more than 20 hours per week may result in serious consequences for the student, such as termination of student status. Additional information about International student employment can be found on the HR International Employees and International Center webpages.
- Students working Federal Work Study (FWS) positions are eligible to work a maximum of 20 hours per week when classes are in session. The hiring department will be responsible for compensating student employees who's total weekly hours are above the maximum. Additional information about FWS student employment can be found on the Financial Aid webpage.
Taxation: Students enrolled at least half-time during a semester are qualified for the FICA exemption. Student employees who qualify for this exemption will not have Social Security or Medicare taxes deducted from their pay checks. Please reference the Student Tax Exemption webpage for more information.
Recruitment Quick Guide:
The following flowchart and steps have been designed to facilitate the recruitment process for a student employee.
If you know the applicant you want to hire:
Have they previously worked on campus?
If yes - Submit an EPAF via Self-Service in MyWings
If no - Creat a recruitment request in OASys for "Direct hire"
If you don't know the applicant you want to hire:
Create a recruitment request in OASys
Note: All Graduate Assistants (even those who have never worked on camous) are hired via EPAF
Create a Recruitment Request within OASys. Refer to the OASys training resources page to learn how to gain access to the OASys hiring official site and create a recruitment request.
Note: If you are a first-time user of the upgraded OASys hiring official site, register for an upcoming training through the Center of Professional Development (CPDT).
Submit the recruitment request for approval within OASys. Student recruitment requests may be sent directly to human resources without additional approvals.
As soon as the recruitment is posted, applicants may begin to submit applications online (www.unfjobs.org).
- If an applicant submits an application or resume to the department, they still must apply to the online posting within OASys
- For Direct Hire(s), HR will post the position internally and send the hiring official a Quicklink to send directly to the applicant so that they can apply to the posting. Please use the "Special Instructions" section of the posting to indicate that the posting is reserved for direct hire.
Conduct interviews and reference checks.
Extend the offer(s) of employment. *Students should not come by HR until an offer of employment has been extended an accepted.
Move the applicant(s) to a status of "Recommend for Hire" and submit a Hiring Proposal for them. Refer to the OPS/Student Hiring Proposal quick guide to learn how to successfully complete and submit the hiring proposal.
Send the employee(s) to HR to process for payroll on or before their first day of work.
- To verify identity, employees must bring a valid unexpired photo identification card (e.g., driver's license, school ID, passport, etc.)
- To verify work eligibility, employees must bring their original social security card, certified copy of their birth certificate, or unexpired passport.
- To set up direct deposit, employees must bring a voided personal check or letter from their bank (if the employee banks online they can print out a bank statement at HR).
HR will collect all necessary personal information (Social Security Number, Date of Birth, and Citizenship status) and approve the Hiring Proposal once the employee has reported to HR to process for payroll.
Move all remaining active applicants (that you do not intend to hire) to "Not Selected." Reference the Bulk Applicant Change guide for assistance changing multiple applicant statuses at once.
Fill the posting.
Note: Filling the posting is required if you do not intend to hire any more applicants in the current semester.