Student Recruitment and Employment
Eligibility: Only current UNF students are eligible to work student positions. An individual is no longer considered a current student if:
- They have graduated from UNF
- They have declared separation from UNF (e.g., the individual has notified their hiring department that they will no longer be attending UNF)
- They have not been enrolled in classes for at least 2 consecutive semesters
- International students on F-1 and J-1 visas may work on-campus a maximum of 20 hours per week when classes are in session. Working more than 20 hours per week may result in serious consequences for the student, such as termination of student status. Additional information about International student employment can be found on the HR International Employees and International Center webpages.
- Students working Federal Work Study (FWS) positions are eligible to work a maximum of 20 hours per week when classes are in session. The hiring department will be responsible for compensating student employees who's total weekly hours are above the maximum. Additional information about FWS student employment can be found on the Financial Aid webpage.
Taxation: Students enrolled at least half-time during a semester are qualified for the FICA exemption. Student employees who qualify for this exemption will not have Social Security or Medicare taxes deducted from their pay checks. Please reference the Student Tax Exemption webpage for more information.
Additional steps are required prior to recruiting for and/or hiring a student employee into a research or research-related position. Please visit the
Foreign Influence Review webpage
Academic Coaches for DL Courses and Graduate Assistantship positions must comply with the position requirements established by CIRT and/or the Graduate School.
Recruitment Quick Guide:
The following flowchart and steps have been designed to facilitate the recruitment process for a student employee.
If you know the applicant you want to hire:
Have they previously worked on campus?
If yes - Submit an EPAF via Self-Service in MyWings
If no - Creat a recruitment request in OASys for "Direct hire"
If you don't know the applicant you want to hire:
Create a recruitment request in OASys
Note: All Graduate Assistants (even those who have never worked on camous) are hired via EPAF
Create a Recruitment Request within OASys. Refer to the OASys training resources page to learn how to gain access to the OASys hiring official site and create a recruitment request.
Note: If you are a first-time user of the upgraded OASys hiring official site, register for an upcoming training through the Center of Professional Development (CPDT).
Submit the recruitment request for approval within OASys. Student recruitment requests may be sent directly to human resources without additional approvals.
As soon as the recruitment is posted, applicants may begin to submit applications online (www.unfjobs.org).
- If an applicant submits an application or resume to the department, they still must apply to the online posting within OASys.
- For Direct Hire(s), HR will post the position internally and send the hiring official a Quicklink to send directly to the applicant so that they can apply to the posting. Please use the "Special Instructions" section of the posting to indicate that the posting is reserved for direct hire.
Conduct interviews and reference checks.
Extend the offer(s) of employment. *Students should not come by HR until an offer of employment has been extended an accepted.
Move the applicant(s) to a status of "Recommend for Hire" and submit a Hiring Proposal for them. Refer to the OPS/Student Hiring Proposal quick guide to learn how to successfully complete and submit the hiring proposal.
The employee(s) must report to Human Resources to process for payroll on or before their first day of work. New employees are required to provide valid and unexpired personally identifiable documents that will be used to complete the I-9 Employment Verification Form.
- To verify Identity, the employee must bring a valid unexpired photo identification card (e.g., driver's license, passport, etc.)
- To verify work eligibility, the employee must bring their original social security card, original birth certificate, unexpired passport, or another combination of acceptable documents (see link below for full list of documents).
Please reference the List of Acceptable Documents PDF for a complete list of acceptable documents to complete the I-9.
*International employees need to complete extra steps prior to visiting Human Resources for payroll processing. Please review the HR International Employees webpage for more information.
Direct Deposit is encouraged for all employees. To set up Direct Deposit, a personal voided check or bank statement is needed. Employees may also provide a printout or letter from their financial institution stating their name along with the full account and routing numbers. Note: Payroll requires that attached proof include printed legal name and account number.
HR will collect all necessary personal information (Social Security Number, Date of Birth, and Citizenship status) and approve the Hiring Proposal once the employee has reported to HR to process for payroll.
Move all remaining active applicants (that you do not intend to hire) to "Not Selected." Reference the Bulk Applicant Change guide for assistance changing multiple applicant statuses at once.
Fill the posting.
Note: Filling the posting is required if you do not intend to hire any more applicants in the current semester.