The below information includes the regulations and general procedures for operating a camp (or university-sponsored camp) or other similar program involving minors on- and off- campus. Please review the Camps and Similar Other Programs Involving Minors regulation for additional details.;
The State Law
In accordance with Florida Statutue 435.12 "Care Provider Background Screening Clearninghouse" and the University of North Florida's regulations 4.0080R "Background Checks" and 6.0170R, "Camps and Similar Other Programs Involving Minors," all paid or volunteer staff working for a camp must successfully complete a Level 2 background check prior to the start of the program.
Background screenings for paid or volunteer staff are conducted through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) - except for Summer Camps (May-September), which are conducted using the Department of Children and Families (DCF) Clearinghouse.
This Level 2 background screening includes fingerprinting, and checks Florida and FBI criminal databases; a county criminal check (local law check) and a search of the sexual offender registry.
- DCF $72.25 - Camps held May-September
- DCF Resubmission $12.39 - Summer camp rescreening after break in service
- (FDLE $61.50 - Camps held October - April)
*Rates are not established by UNF and are subject to change.
The following documents must be included in the camp application packet and submitted to Environmental Health & Safety:
Additional documentation may be required based upon the nature of the camp (e.g., Outside Activity Form, Facility Use Agreement, Volunteer Acknowledgement Form, etc.). Please review the Camps regulation for a detailed list of required documentation.
Human Resources will email the following documents to all paid/volunteer camp staff. These documents must be completed and returned to the appropriate parties in order to participate in the camp.
Affidavit of Good Moral Character - All camp staff must have this document notarized and returned to the Camp/Clinic Director. *HR has many notaries on staff that will notarize this document free of charge
- Submit camp application to Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) 6 weeks prior to start date (NOTE: EH&S must receive a finalized camp packet 3 weeks prior to camp start date.
- Submit list of all paid/volunteer staff to Human Resources (HR) including each staff members full name and email address.
- HR will contact each staff member with instructions on how to initiate their background screening and make a fingerprint appointment.
- HR will contact Camp/Clinic Director if any staff are eligible for resubmission and instructions regarding the resubmission process.
- HR will receive results approximately 7 business days after the fingerprinting appointment (or resubmission), and update the camp/clinic director. *Timeframe can vary based on DCF workload
- Camp/Clinic Director will submit finalized packet, including "Listing of Staff/Volunteer Background Screening Verification" to Environmental Health & Safety 3 weeks prior to camp start date.
- Camp staff will receive an email from Human Resources containing detailed instructions to initiate their background screening and make a finger print appointment.
- If a staff member believes they are exempt from background screening, they will contact HR for confirmation and an "Affidavit of Previous Compliance." HR must verify and approve any exemption.
- Camp staff will receive an email from the background screening vendor CastleBranch. They will click the email and follow the on-screen instructions to create a profile.
- Camp staff will schedule a fingerprinting appointment online, using the information provided in the screening quick guide Human Resources provided in their email.
- Human Resources will receive results within approximately 7 business days and contact the Camp/Clinic Director.
- Camp/Clinic Director will notify supervisor of eligibility to work and collect relevant affidavits. (Affidavit of Good Moral Character required for all staff, Affidavits of Previous Compliance for staff exempted from background screening).
Frequently Asked Questions