Skip to Main Content

Legal Name Change and Preferred Name Requests

Staff and Faculty must provide their legal name on employment related documents, but can request a change or correction after employment begins. Information about the process and required documentation for name changes and preferred first name requests can be found below. For more information, please review the Preferred Name and Pronoun policy, the Onestop Student Services webpage and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center webpage.

Legal Name Change

Faculty and staff who have undergone a legal name change must submit an Employment Name Change Request Form along with an updated original Social Security Card to the Office of Human Resources (HR).



Note: Employees who are also current or former UNF students will need to submit a Personal Information Update Form to the Registrar's Office along with acceptable documentation if they wish for their student records to be updated. For more information about the form and acceptable documentation please visit the One-Stop Student Services website or call (904) 620-5555.

Preferred First Name

Staff and faculty may provide a preferred name (or nickname) and pronoun via the Office of Human Resources (HR). Documentation of the preferred name is not required, but the employee will need to provide valid photo identification and complete a Name Change Request Form at the time the request is made. The preferred name will be reflected in UNF email, directory, and learning management systems.


Preferred First Name Usage

Preferred name and pronoun will be used in lieu of legal name whenever it is not necessary for the legal name to be used. It will be used across University systems when available. Faculty and staff are expected to facilitate the use of preferred name and pronouns. Currently, preferred first name will not display in Banner Self Service (i.e., the class roster used by faculty) however, work is being done to enable this feature in the near future. Faculty can use student N-numbers to cross-reference names from their class roster with student display names in canvas. Visit the Faculty Association webpage for step-by-step instructions for Cross referencing class rosters and canvas names using student N-numbers.

Additional Resources

Preferred Name Policy Registrar's Office Form HR Employment Form