Pre-Med Living-Learning Community
The Pre-Med Living-Learning Community is for any first-year student who is interested in pursuing a career in the medical field. Located in Osprey Crossings, the Pre-Med LLC is designed to assist UNF students in establishing a support network within the university and the community in order to improve student success in and out of the classroom, while simultaneously developing competitive candidates for admission to professional schools in the medical field.
Eligibility & Course Requirements
- Complete the Housing Contract & LLC and Interest Housing Application
- Have an academic major in either Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physician's Assistant or be interested in a bio medically-related professional program, including Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry or Optometry
- Enroll in General Biology 1 (BSC 1010C) with Pre-Med LLC
- Live in Osprey Crossings with Coggin Business LLC
- Support/Attend Living-Learning Community events and programs
LLC students must enroll in General Biology 1 (BSC 1010C) for Fall 2017. There are two options:
- Gen Bio I - BSC 1010C for T/Th 4:30-5:45 p.m. AND choose from one of two lab sections M 3:00-5:50 OR Th 12:00 - 2:50. Honors BSC 1010C is strongly encouraged for Honors eligible students.
- Pre-Med Seminar - BSC 2992 is Th 6:00-7:15 p.m. required for both Fall and Spring semesters.
Students are recommended to also take General Chemistry I or College Algebra during Fall 2017.
As a member of the Healthy Osprey LLC you will:
- Develop academic skills that will foster continued student success
- Facilitate networking skills between students and professionals in the medical profession
- Provide a support network to improve successful transition to UNF
- Improve student academic success and social wellness
- Inform students of the level of academic rigor required for a career in the medical fields
- Provide support and guidance for success on professional school admissions exams
- Provide support and guidance for successfully assembling competitive professional school applications
Benefits & Recent Experiences Have Included:
- Professional panel
- Science course support
- Tutor support
- Faculty and graduate student office hours on site
- Faculty involvement
- Internship and volunteer opportunities with Mayo Clinic, Shands Hospitals and St. Vincent's Hospitals for Pre-Medical students
- Internship and volunteer opportunities with professionals and clinics for Pre-Pharmacy, Pre-Dental, Pre-Optometry and Pre-Veterinary students
- Social events to build community and have fun
Those interested in the Pre-Med LLC may also be interested in participating in the BIO-FLITE program which is an intensive orientation for biology majors. This 6-day workshop takes place prior to the LLC retreat and provides participants with an experience into what it takes to be a biology major at UNF. Click the image below for more information on the BIO-FLITE program.
Campus Partners & Who to Contact
The Pre-Med LLC is a partnership with Housing and Residence Life and the Department of Biology.
Dr. David Waddell
Associate Professor & Director of the UNF Biomedical Program, Department of Biology
Coordinator for Educational Initiatives, Housing and Residence Life
Assistant Director, Housing and Residence Life