Housing and Residence Life is committed to providing a safe, inclusive and supportive experience for all students. We offer a variety of gender-inclusive housing options to ensure that Housing and Residence Life is a supportive space for residents of all gender identities and gender expressions. We also house the Gender Inclusive Housing Experience (GIHE), a cluster of rooms in Osprey Fountains that focuses on community, support, advocacy and learning. When sharing a residence, students who identify as transgender and gender non-conforming can specify the preferred gender of their roommate.
The mission of the University of North Florida is committed to providing an accepting and welcoming environment. Gender Inclusive Housing Experience (GIHE) will maintain an unreserved commitment to student success within a diverse, supportive campus culture. Residents within GIHE will celebrate and affirm the cultural experiences of gender expansiveness while welcoming the diverse and complex identities of every resident. GIHE works closely with the LGBT Resource Center and the UNF student groups to create a community of respect and a sense of family for all residents.
Housing Options and Information
We offer 2 housing options for students interested in a gender inclusive housing:
- a specific Gender Inclusive Housing Experience (e.g., clustered together in an intentional learning and development area - see details below), AND
- housing options for those students who wish to be integrated throughout our other residential housing options across campus by room, suite or apartment only.
If you are interested in a gender-inclusive room, apartment space or the Gender Inclusive Housing community, we can provide you with a personal and confidential assessment of the available options. To discuss your interest or preferences, please contact one of the following:
- For student rooms across campus: Nicole Irvin in Housing Operations (904) 620-5390 or Nicole.firstname.lastname@example.org
- About the living community: Sheresa Divens in Residence Life (904) 620-5258 or email@example.com
LGBT Resource Center
- For general information and campus climate: Kaitlin Legg, Director, 904-620-2939, firstname.lastname@example.org
Upper Class environment - Osprey Fountains and Village
Residents that choose the inclusive housing option would have their own bedroom in the Fountains and share a bathroom with 2-3 others and a common space with up to 6 individuals.
Residents that choose the inclusive housing option would share a bedroom and bathroom in the Village with 1 other and a common space with up to 3 other individuals.
First Year Environments - Osprey Cove, Crossings and Landing
Residents that choose the inclusive housing option for first year environments would share a bedroom and bathroom facility with 1-2 other individuals.
This list of gender-inclusive restrooms and bathrooms is provided for your reference. If you have further questions regarding Housing and Residence Life and the on-campus environment or if you need additional support, please contact the LGBT Resource Center.
Gender Inclusive Housing Experience
The Gender Inclusive Housing Experience (GIHE) is one of several gender-inclusive housing options offered at the University of North Florida. GIHE is intended to be a safe, inclusive, comfortable and supportive community for people of all gender identities and expressions. This community supports students who identify as transgender or gender non-conforming in choosing (or being placed with) a roommate of any gender.
Have questions about this experience? Check out the Gender Inclusive Housing Experience FAQ for more details. The GIHE Agreement provides information on the expectations of participating this in this community.
If you have questions regarding gender-identity, gender-expression, gender non-conforming or transgender student support, feel free to contact the LGBT Resource Center at email@example.com. The LGBT Resource Center offers education, outreach, advocacy and support to UNF LGBT students. Please visit the LGBT Resource Center website for more information.
For the purpose of gender-inclusive housing, gender non-conforming is a term for individuals whose gender expression is different from societal expectations related to gender.
- Gender- Social understandings of sex categories which may or may not align with biological sex.
- Gender binary- The traditional classification of gender into two distinct, oppositional categories: male or female.
- Gender expression- how a person represents or expresses their gender identity to others, often through behavior, clothing, hairstyles, voice or body characteristics.
- Gender identity - The way an individual chooses to identify their gender. This can be male, female or something outside of the traditional gender binary
- Sex- A determination made through the application of socially agreed upon biological criteria for classifying persons as females or males.
- Sexual orientation - The romantic or physical attraction to another person. Sexual orientation spans across a continuum from same-sex attraction only at one end of the continuum to opposite-sex attraction only at the other end.
- Transgender- A broad umbrella term for people whose gender identity, expression or behavior is different from those typically associated with their sex assigned at birth. This includes but is not limited to transsexuals, androgynous people, genderqueer people and gender non-conforming people. "Trans" is sometimes used as shorthand for "transgender."
Definition Source: National Center for Transgender Equality; Mara Keisling, Executive Director, http://transequality.org and http://www.brandeis.edu/studentaffairs/dcl/roomselection/genderneutral.html
This document has been edited with the free version of the instant HTML converter. Try it here and use it every time for your projects.