What It's All About
Fresh Check Day, the signature program of the Jordan Porco Foundation, is an uplifting mental health fair and suicide prevention event that includes interactive expo booths, peer-to-peer messaging, support of multiple campus departments and groups, free food, entertainment, and exciting prizes and giveaways. Fresh Check Day aims to create an approachable and hopeful atmosphere where students are encouraged to engage in dialogue about mental health and helps to build a bridge between students and the mental health resources available on campus, in the community, and nationally.
2018 Fresh Check Day
When: Thursday, November 1, 2018
Time: 11 a.m.- 3 p.m.
Where: 14B Boardwalk (Rain Location: Osprey Clubhouse)
Fresh Check Day Booths
- 9 out of 10 Booth
- Rise Up
- Who's working the booth: Department of Diversity Initiatives
- The Rise up booth educates about the mental health effects of sexual assault and resources that can help, brings awareness to rape culture and the impact of victim blaming, and empowers all students to be active and informed bystanders.
- Mood Matters
- Who's working the booth: UNF Counseling Center
- Raise awareness, educate, and decrease stigma about anxiety and mood disorders, including bipolar disorder and depression, among college students. Also, share symptoms and treatment options for mood and anxiety disorders.
- Know your Limit
- Who's working the booth: UNF Recreation and Wellness
- This particular booth raises awareness of alcohol (and other drug) safety and the warning signs of alcohol (and other drug) abuse and dependence. The booth also provides information on resources that can help if a student is worried about themselves or a friend.
- 100 Reasons
- Who's working the booth: UNF Campus Life
- The 100 reasons booth instills a sense of hope in students by reminding them that there are many reasons to stay alive and inspiring them to find their own reason to stay. Also, the booth will provide resources and information on how to help a friend who is thinking about suicide.
- Be Yourself
- Who's working the booth: UNF LGBT Resource Center
- The Be Yourself booth promotes self-acceptance and acceptance of others for who they are. It also provides information on risk and protective factors within the LGBTQ community.
- Elephant in the Room
- Who's working the booth: UNF Student Conduct
- The Elephant in the Room booth addresses the issues many of us face but that often go unaddressed and, in the process, come to see that we are not alone.
- Who's working the booth: UNF Housing and Residence Life
- The Younique booth promotes positive body image. Also, it raises awareness about the prevalence of disordered eating in college students and where to get help if they or a friend are struggling with disordered eating habits.
- At Ease
- Who's working the booth: Student Veterans of America - UNF Chapter
- The at Ease booth educates the general student body about the unique challenges their service member peers face. Also, it supplies resource information for student service members and their loved ones.
Fresh Check Day is a program that will address some serious topics involving mental health. If you attend the program, please do not feel as if you must converse about any of the topics. The counseling center will be present if anyone needs to talk through what they have experienced.