Upper-Class Room Selection for Fall 2019
Instructions and Important Information
The week of March 25th through March 29th, 2019, YOU will be in the driver's seat to select your roommates and room assignment based on your contract priority date. The Room Selection Process is broken down into four specific Room Selection phases. Please review the information and instructions below carefully.
Preparing for Room Selection
Between now and March 25th, every student with a completed contract as of the priority deadline (March 15th, 2019) will need to ensure they have read and completed the following, as applicable:
- Ensure ALL room and roommate preferences within myHousing are up to date. Any students that do not or choose not to participate in the Room Selection process will be assigned in order of when their contract was received and based on the availability of their preferences. Once Room Selection begins, students will NOT be able to update preferences within the system.
- Search AND mutually accept your desired roommate(s). Please note the following:
- Both you AND your desired roommate(s) must be in the same Roommate Group in order to be considered as a mutual request.
- During Room Selection, there are phases in which you will need to ensure you can fill the selected room with accepted roommates, otherwise you will not be able to assign yourself to the space.
- i.Example: If you are looking at a 4 person suite but there are only two of you (you and 1accepted roommate) you will not be able to assign yourselves into the space. You will need to look for an available double or have accepted third and fourth roommates.
- Every student can have a maximum of 5 students in a roommate group. It is not suggested that each student adds this many people to a roommate group unless you are seeking a 6 person suite in Osprey Fountains.
- It is important to be pro-active in accepting or declining roommates within myHousing in order to prevent any issues during the Room Selection process.
- Some rooms/apartments/suites and/or bed spaces may not be available for assignment during the Room Selection process due to Living-Learning Communities, Theme Housing, ADA needs, etc.Housing and Residence Life will communicate directly with students impacted by their space being unavailable.
What are the phases for Room Selection?
This is a great question! Students will be able to assign themselves into available space based on the following phases of priority:
Phase One: Squatter's Rights
(Opens at 9 a.m. on Monday, March 25, 2019 and ends at 8 a.m. on Tuesday, March 26, 2019)
- Students who currently reside in the room will be able to assign themselves back into the exact same space for the next contract year (Fall 2019/Spring 2020 for main campus residents or Fall 2019/Spring 2020/Summer 2020 for Flats at UNF residents). For Osprey Fountains and The Flats at UNF, it is important to note that students will be assigning themselves to the exact same BEDROOM due to the set-up of these buildings. Students wishing to live in a different bedroom within the same suite or apartment will not be able to assign themselves during this phase.
Phase Two: Squatter with NEW Roommate(s)
(Opens at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, March 26, 2019 and ends at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, March 26, 2019)
- Students who wish to assign themselves back into their current space and assign new roommate(s) from their Roommate Group will participate in Phase Two. Space must still be available within their room to participate in this phase. It is the responsibility of the person with squatter's rights to the space to go into myHousing during this phase and assign their roommate(s) from their roommate group.
Phase Three: New Room, Accepted Roommate(s)
(Opens at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, March 27, 2019 and ends at 2 p.m. on Thursday, March 28, 2019)
- Students who are looking to move to a different room than they are currently assigned, have accepted roommates AND can fill the room will be able to assign themselves during this phase. As noted above, you will not be able to assign yourself to a space that you cannot fill completely. This means if there were two of you in a roommate group and you are trying to select a 4 Person Suite, you will either need to find an open double or accept a third and fourth roommate in your roommate group to make your assignment.
- All upper-class students that remain unassigned going into this phase will be assigned a "Time Ticket", which is a designated date and time in which they can enter myHousing and complete their Room Selection. Only one student needs to complete this process, as they will be able to assign any roommates within their Roommate Group at the same time. We encourage students to communicate amongst each other to determine who will complete this process.
Phase Four: Open Room Selection
(Opens at 11 a.m. on Friday, March 29, 2019 and ends at 12 noon on Monday, April 1, 2019)
- Students who are looking to assign themselves to an open bed space with or without confirmed roommates will participate in this phase.
- All upper-class students that remain unassigned going into this phase will be assigned a "Time Ticket", which is a designated date and time in which they can enter myHousing and complete their Room Selection. Outside of the "Time Ticket" there are no restrictions during this phase.
What happens after I have selected my assignment?
There are several important things to note about the Room Selection process, such as:
- Students should visit myHousing during the applicable Room Selection Phase and time window for that phase as noted above. If a student misses their priority phase, they are not guaranteed their preferred space will be available to them in the next applicable phase.
- During the Open Room Selection Phase, students will be able to change their previously selected assignment. It is important to note that you do so at your own risk. There is no guarantee your previous assignment will still be available if you decide that you want to try to change it back. Changing your assignment at any time is giving up whatever priority you may have had to the previous space.
- Any students that do not participate during Room Selection will be assigned by Housing and Residence Life based on when their contract was received and the availability of their preferences entered into the myHousing web portal.
- Assignment and roommate information will be available for students to view in myHousing no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2019.
Fall 2019 rent will be assessed on July 19, 2019 and should be visible on student accounts as of July 22, 2019.
Fall 2019 Rent will be due on August 5, 2019.