Skip to Main Content
three residents smiling together

First-Year Housing Room Selection for Fall 2019

Instructions and Important Information

If you have been accepted into a Living-Learning Community or Theme Housing Community these instructions do not pertain to you! You should have received specific instructions for LLC and Theme Housing Room Selection.

Also, if you are incoming STUDENT ATHLETE your assignment information is handled through athletic compliance and you do NOT need to participate in this process. If you have questions pertaining to your specific assignment and roommate pairing contact Ms. Nancy Miller. All other housing related communications will come directly from Housing and Residence Life.


Beginning July 16th, YOU will be in the driver’s seat to select your room assignment for Fall 2019. Your priority will be determined based the date you submitted your AY 2019-2020 housing contract broken down into specific Room Selection phases. Please review the information and instructions below carefully.


Preparing for Room Selection

Between now and July 12th, every student with a completed contract for AY 2019-2020 will need to ensure they have read and completed the following, as applicable:

  1. Ensure ALL room and roommate preferences within myHousing are up to date. Any student that chooses not to participate in the Room Selection process will be assigned in order of when their contract was received and based on the availability of their preferences after online room selection begins. Once Room Selection begins, students will NOT be able to update preferences within the system.
  2. Search AND mutually accept your desired roommate(s). Please note the following:
    • A. Both you AND your desired roommate(s) must be in the same Roommate Group in order to be considered as a mutual request.
    • B. During the Room Selection process, there are phases in which you will need to ensure you can fill the selected room with accepted roommates otherwise you will not be able to assign yourself to the space.
      • i. Example: If you are looking at a triple but there are only two of you (you and 1 accepted roommate) you will not be able to assign yourselves into the space. You will need to look for an available double or have accepted a third roommate.  
       
    • C. Every student can have a maximum of 5 accepted roommates. It is not suggested that each student accepts this many requests. The maximum suggested is 3, as the largest room occupancy available to first-year students is a triple occupancy room.
    • D. It is important to be pro-active in accepting or declining roommates within myHousing to prevent any issues during the Room Selection process.
    • E. Some rooms/suites and/or bed spaces may not be available for assignment during the Room Selection process due to Living-Learning Communities, Theme Housing, ADA needs, etc.
     

What room types and housing areas are available for first year participants?

Housing and Residence Life is preparing for a large first-year class as well as accommodating a large population of upper-class students. Bed space on campus is in high demand which is good for UNF campus life! When the on-line room selection process begins July 16th, it is anticipated that the following room types will initially be available (outlined below). As the on-line room selection process continues hour-by-hour students can anticipate the number of available rooms/beds in each facility will decrease as students participate in the process.

Osprey Hall
Approximately 120 rooms. It is anticipated that close to 100% of the rooms will be configured as double rooms. *

Osprey Landing
Approximately 200 rooms. It is anticipated that 90% of the rooms will be configured as triples. The other 10% of rooms are anticipated to be configured as doubles with the majority of those doubles serving as Living-Learning Community housing for admitted LLC participants. *

Osprey Cove
Approximately 200 rooms. It is anticipated that 80% of these rooms will be configured as triples. The other 20% of rooms are anticipated to be configured as doubles with the majority of those doubles serving as Living-Learning Community housing for admitted LLC participants. *

Osprey Crossings
Approximately 220 rooms. It is anticipated that 25% of these rooms will be configured as triples. The other 75% of rooms are anticipated to be configured as doubles with the majority of those doubles serving as Living-Learning Community housing for admitted LLC participants. *

It is important to note that Housing and Residence Life strives to have as much of a balance of both male and female rooms on each floor in each community when possible.

It is also important to note that the Housing Contract does not guarantee assignment to a particular type of accommodation or assignment to any preference indicated by a student. A student's preferences are requests only and the University's granting of preferences or requests cannot be guaranteed.

*Additional double rooms and some private rooms may be configured to accommodate medical and disability needs as determined by the UNF Disability Resource Center in conjunction with Housing and Residence Life.




What are the phases for Room Selection? 

This is a great question! First year residents will be able to assign themselves into available space based on the following phases of priority:

Phase One: Room Selection with Confirmed Roommate(s) ONLY

(Opens at 10 am on Tuesday, July 16, 2019 and ends at 10 am on Thursday, July 18, 2019)


Only those first-year students who have confirmed roommate(s) in their roommate group in myHousing and have enough students to completely fill every open bed space within the room selected may finalize their AY 2019-2020 housing assignment during this phase.

You will receive a Time Ticket to participate in this phase. Time tickets are a designated date and time in which you can begin your Room Selection process in myHousing. Only one student needs to complete this process, as they will be able to assign any roommates within their Roommate Group at the same time. We encourage students to communicate amongst each out to determine who will complete this process.

Please note, if you do not participate in Phase 1 of on-line Room Selection a new Time Ticket will be sent to you for you to participate in Phase 2. Phase 2 Time Tickets will be sent after Phase 1 is complete. Time Tickets for Phase 2 are comparable to those issued for Phase 1.

Phase Two: Open Room Selection (With or Without Confirmed Roommate(s)) 

(Opens at 12 noon on Thursday, July 18, 2019 and ends at 10 am on Monday, July 22, 2019)

Students who did not participate in Phase 1 may select and finalize their AY 2019-2020 housing assignment with or without a confirmed roommate(s). Students do not have to completely fill a room or suite or have a confirmed roommate(s) to select and finalize their housing assignment.

Phase Three: Housing and Residence Life Assigns (Monday July 22, 2019)

Any first-year students who did not participate in Room Selection during Phase 1 or Phase 2 will be assigned by Housing and Residence Life staff. Housing and Residence Life will utilize the preferences selected in the myHousing portal to complete assignments in consideration to Housing Priority date. Your priority will be determined based the date you submitted your AY 2019-2020 housing contract.

Please note, where every reasonable effort is made to accommodate student preferences in consideration to priority date and space availability at that time; it is important to note that NO assignment is guaranteed. This includes specific rooms, housing areas, LLC placement, room types, roommate(s), etc. Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to reassign a student at any time during the contract period for any reason, including but not limited to space availability

What happens after I have selected my assignment?

There are several important things to note about the Room Selection process, such as:

  1. Students should visit myHousing during the applicable Room Selection Phase and time window for that phase as noted above. If a student misses their priority phase, they are not guaranteed their preferred space will be available to them in the next applicable phase.
  2. During the Room Selection Phases, students will be able to change their previously selected their assignment and choose a new one if they desire. It is important to note that you do so at your own risk. There is no guarantee your previous assignment will still be available if you decide that you want to try to change it back. Changing your assignment at any time is giving up whatever priority you may have had to the space.
  3. Any students that do not participate in Room Selection will be assigned by Housing and Residence Life based on when their contract was received and the availability of their preferences in the myHousing web portal.
  4. Assignment and roommate information will be available for students to view in myHousing once an assignment has been made.

Fall 2019 Rent will be due on August 5, 2019


Housing and Residence Life is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm anytime the University is open. We can be reached by calling 904-620-HOME (4663) or e-mailing housing@unf.edu. Feel free to reach out if you need additional assistance.