The Hicks Honors College
The Hicks Honors College is an interdisciplinary program designed for high-achieving students that emphasizes experiential and active learning in small classes. We provide you with a personalized education usually only available at small liberal arts colleges while still offering all the resources of a state university. Our students represent the best that every new class of Ospreys has to offer: students with high intellectual ability, a strong work ethic, and a desire to get the most out of their college experience, both academically and socially. You can read more about the Hicks Honors College in our brochure.
Our Focus on 5 Areas of Student Development
The Hicks Honors College offers a comprehensive four-year program with hands-on, in-depth learning. This experience is based on five areas of development:
- Critical Thinking - Honors students develop skills in analysis and synthesis through a range of discussion-based active learning and writing-based classes.
- Leadership- Honors students develop intrinsic leadership skills in the context of their academic, career, and personal goals.
- Engagement - Honors students take responsibility for learning outside the classroom.
- Interdisciplinary Perspective - Honors students make valuable connections between academic disciplines through interdisciplinary courses.
- Global Awareness - Honors students gain an awareness of issues in a global context, preparing them for the diverse world in which they will live and work.
The Hicks Honors College demonstrates its commitment to academic and cultural growth, civic awareness and student success by fostering a community of intellectually curious global citizens. Through the Hicks Honors College, students are encouraged to develop rigorous and comprehensive critical thinking, their sense of integrity and a commitment to service.
The purpose of the Hicks Honors College is to foster the enlightenment, empowerment, and ennoblement of Honors students. It does so by facilitating the acquisition of knowledge, skills, and values that will inspire students to be effective life-long learners and critical thinkers; by giving students confidence to venture forth into and participate actively in communities beyond those with which they are most immediately conversant and comfortable; and finally by encouraging students to serve or contribute to those communities in lasting and tangible ways by putting their knowledge, skill, and values to meaningful use.
We are currently meeting virtually (online) via Teams.
Book an Appointment
This will bring you to the Hicks Honors College bookings page where you will:
- Select the type of select of appointment you want.
- Select the person you want to meet with.
- Select an appointment that fits your schedule.
- Add your details.
- Provide any additional information requested.
- Click the data sharing understanding box.
- Click "Book".
Please note: while you can use a smart phone to hold these meetings, you will be limited and you will not be able to use screen sharing. We recommend you use a laptop or desktop when possible.