Halamandaris Caring Internship
2017 Caring Internship Application
The Heart of America Foundation® was created to teach the values at the heart of America and to help people, particularly children, learn that they help themselves when they help others.
The Heart of America Foundation is a national, nonsectarian, non-partisan, nonprofit, humanitarian organization that celebrates, honors, and empowers both young people and adults who enrich the human race with the quality of their lives. The Foundation has the following programs: READesign®, Books from the Heart®, Hurricane Relief, Heroes of the Heart™, and The Ambassador Program.
The Halamandaris Caring Internship
University of North Florida Foundation Honorary Board Member Hugh H. Jones Jr. established the Bill and Angie Halamandaris Endowment to fund an annual scholarship for a UNF student to intern at the Foundation for eight weeks. Funding includes a housing allowance, weekly stipend of approximately $200.00 and travel expenses to/from Washington, D.C. The scholar intern will be involved in a variety of projects designed to inspire and enrich the lives and hearts of others.
The nominee must demonstrate:
- A commitment to voluntary service
- Initiative and innovation in problem-solving
- Persistence in overcoming obstacles
- Advocacy for change
The nominee must:
- Be enrolled as a sophomore or junior full or part-time and in good academic standing at the University of North Florida
- Complete the FAFSA and demonstrate some degree of financial need
- Agree to take a Business Ethics course (PHI 2630, PHI 3641, MAN 4701, MAN 4064 or HSA 4553) prior to graduation from UNF
Internship activities will include:
- Engaging students and communities in service by coordinating book drives across the country
- Researching and contacting schools (locally and nationally) to coordinate the receipt of book donations
- Working with the "Books From The Heart" team on book distribution including visiting schools, reading to students, distributing books
- Assisting our "Books From the Heart" team in warehouse activities, including receiving, counting and packing books to distribute to children
- Coordinating parent resources for specialized book distributions and READesigns
- Assisting with research and other special projects as needed