Modified Search for Visiting Faculty
For regular faculty searches, see Faculty Quick Guide
OASys Routing Queues
*Posting of a position vacancy is NOT required for visiting faculty positions.
If posting does NOT occur, follow ONLY steps 1 and 2(1-2) below:
If posting does occur, follow the steps below EXCLUDING 2(2):
Step 1: AUTHORIZATION TO RECRUIT
Academic Affairs, Department Deans and Budget Office will provide authorization to recruit.
Position numbers should not include VIS in the position number.
- Contact AA at (904) 620-2700 with questions.
Step 2: RECRUITMENT
- If conducting a full search and posting the position on OASys, review the search and screen policies for faculty employment.
the recruitment request for approved vacancy. (To access the OASys Hiring
Official Site and create recruitment requests, refer
to the OASys training
If no search is conducted and is NOT posted on OASys:
- Contact the office of EOD at (904) 620-2507 for questions.
If a search is conducted and posted on OASys, route the recruitment request for EOD approval.
- In the notes tab on the recruitment request, type “EPAF ONLY” and the name of the person being hired.
- Route the recruitment request for HR approval. HR/Employment will contact you to complete the electronic personnel action form (epaf).
A formal Search Committee is not required; instead, type the following in the Search Committee Composition space: Name(s), Title(s) of persons(s) responsible for reviewing and screening applicants and for making the final selection.
the recruitment request has been posted in OASys, only EOD-approved
advertisements and/or postings may be placed in outside journals, publications
and web sites. (Refer to
Recruitment Resource Guide.)
- Upon EOD
approval, the recruitment request will be sent to the VP and then to HR
Employment for authorization to post the Position Vacancy Announcement
(PVA). The PVA will be posted online at the current job
openings web page.
Step 3: RECEIVING APPLICATIONS ONLINE
submit applications online via OASys, unless
arranged as a reasonable accommodation for persons with certain disabilities.
applications, resumes or other materials are permitted to be accepted by the
department unless submitted via OASys or specifically requested within the
- At the close of the application review date, EOD will certify
and approve the applicant pool.
- EOD will inform
the hiring official and point of contact of applicant pool approval via e-mail.(Applicant
pool certification/approval allows for review of pool only. Candidates can be interviewed after the
interview pool is certified/approved by the Dean/Hiring Official.)
applications, the status for individuals who have incomplete applications can
be changed to reflect that and an automatic e-mail will be sent notifying them
that their application is incomplete.
The status for
individuals who do not meet the minimum requirements can be changed to reflect
that and they will become inactive applicants.
Step 4: INTERVIEWS
- Obtain interview approval from the Dean/Hiring Official.
- When scheduling interviews, change the statuses of the applicants to be interviewed to either “Telephone Interview Pending” or “Campus Interview Pending.”
the interviews. Telephonic and on-campus interviews are expected. Skype is also
- Helpful information on interviewing may be found at legal reminders.
- Forward the names of applicants who participate in each round of interview to EOD for record-keeping.
Step 5: HIRING PROCESS
reference checks on the final candidate(s) using employment verification (telephone) form.
- Request official transcripts and three (3) official letters of reference if not already received.
- Complete the faculty employment recommendation packet and submit to the Provost through your Dean who must approve the hire before an offer is made.
- Hiring department makes the verbal job offer and collects required new hire data upon acceptance, including: employee’s date of birth, social security number, citizenship status and start date. (See 8B below).
- Contact EOD via e-mail with the successful candidate’s name and e-mail address to initiate the background check process.
- Mail the new employee the letter of offer to be signed and returned. See sample letters.
Upon completion of the background check, EOD will notify the hiring official and point of contact of its status. (The epaf process cannot begin until confirmation of the candidate’s successful background check has been received.)
Use epaf to process new hires. Review the OASys Faculty Hiring Proposal for instructions on generating the epaf.
- Change all of the applicant statuses.
Complete the New Hire Information Tab (generates epaf) on the recruitment request (using data collected in step 4).
Change the status of the recruitment request to “Fill”.
- The new employee’s applicant status must be changed to “Hired.”
- All other applicant statuses should be set to “Not Hired” or “Not Hired-Send E-mail,” along with the corresponding reason for not being hired.
- Not Hired-Send E-mail” will automatically send out regret letters via e-mail once the position is filled.
Submit the faculty employment recommendation packet, including: new hire access form,
and key request form, prior to the
employee’s first day of work.
- Once the recruitment request is filled, the information from the new hire information tab, the application and the recruitment request will be submitted as an epaf for approval.
Step 6: CLOSE OF SEARCH
- If the option in step 5(8A) above is not used, notify all applicants that position has been filled. Communications may be via e-mail with the status of “Not Hired-Send E-mail,” create a personalized e-mail, or send a letter. See sample letters.
Forward the official search file (all documents pertaining to search) to HR for storage. Search file does NOT need to include information recorded in OASys.
- The applicant address list contains the names and contact information of all the applicants, and may be accessed at any point.
Resources available on E.O.D. web page
Additional Recruiting/Advertising Sources
Do's and Don'ts of Lawful Interviewing
E.O.D. Legal Reminders
Sample Evaluation Form