The Institute of Environmental Research and Education (IERE) seeks to stimulate the creation of multidisciplinary research projects related to the environment. The grants offered to faculty are intended to "seed" environmentally related research that subsequently results in the preparation and submission of a proposal to an external funding agency that is submitted through the IERE. In addition, the IERE especially hopes to inspire effective collaboration between faculty members and students in diverse disciplines. The Seed Grants are competitively awarded to the most meritorious proposals.
Funding for Seed Grants is provided through the generosity of donors. We would like to thank our donors for supporting faculty research and helping create student research opportunities.
- River Branch Foundation
- Vulcan Materials Company Foundation
2022 Seed Grant Applications
Applications are now open for the 2022 grant cycle! Two grants will be awarded in amounts up to $10,000. All proposals must involve at least one UNF faculty member who is tenured or in a tenure-earning position.
Allowable expenses include:
- Faculty stipends
- Student funding (students must be paid hourly and cannot work more than 20 hours per week)
- Travel for field work and/or presentations related to the funded project
- Materials, equipment and other expenses directly related to the funded project
- Publication fees associated with the funded project (requires approval from dean’s office)
Priority will be given to proposals that include:
- Faculty who have not previously receive Seed Grant funding
- A Northeast Florida regional focus
- Junior tenure-track faculty
- Interdisciplinary focus with team members representing different disciplines
- Paid opportunities for undergraduate and/or graduate students
- Purchasing supplies and equipment for use in continued research
- Utilize services from UNF research centers (e.g., Materials Science and Engineering Research Facility, Public Opinion Research Laboratory, etc.)
Applications for funding must be received no later than Sunday, Nov. 7 at 11:59 p.m. Completed applications, including the signed acknowledgment form, must be received electronically in PDF format by the deadline. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered for funding.
Contact the Institute of Environmental Research and Education if you have any questions about the application or Seed Grants in general.
2022 Seed Grant Application
Seed Grant Recipients and Funded Projects