Weapon of Mass Destruction - Definition
A Weapon of Mass Destruction includes biological, chemical, incendiary, nuclear or highly explosive material and any combination thereof.
Emergency action steps will depend upon the type of device and/or agent used and whether it is used on-campus, in a campus building or off-campus. The UPD has developed plans to respond to such situations and has established lines of communication with appropriate civil authorities to obtain current information.
Action Steps for Initial Responders
- Notify the UPD (911) and evacuate the areaThe UPD, will in most cases, establish an Incident Command Center upwind of the hazard
- Avoid contamination by staying upwind of the hazard, away from the point of the release, and exposed individuals
- Do not touch or move any suspicious objects
- Minimize the use of radios, cell phones, etc.
- Physical Facilities will determine if utilities and ventilation systems should be shut down
- Affected individuals should quarantine themselves at a safe location
- If a hazardous release occurs a at the campus perimeter or off-campus, remain indoors until further instruction is given.