2020 Presidential Diversity & Inclusion Award and Diversity & Inclusion Scholarship
To acknowledge and honor the exemplary efforts of a student, faculty, or staff member who:
- Increases the appreciation for, and the awareness of the benefits, importance, and relevance of diversity and inclusion.
- Works to advance the efforts of the university to be more diverse and inclusive, identifies and challenges obstacles, and identifies and builds assets and strengths.
Nominations are Being Accepted Monday, Dec. 2 - Friday, Jan 17 (by 5 p.m.)
Nominations are to be submitted online by completing this simple form. The deadline to submit is 5 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020. Nominees will be notified by Jan. 23 and will have until 5 p.m. on Feb. 14 to submit their candidate packets.
There will be one (1) award for $2,500, for a faculty or staff member.
There will be one (1) scholarship for $1,000 for a student.
All current UNF students, faculty, and staff are eligible.
Nominations may be made by any person and nominees may self-nominate. Nominees should be those who engage in diversity and inclusion initiatives, organizational programs, and/or systemic activities and efforts. Nominees should create or enhance opportunities for UNF students, faculty, and/or staff to develop in ways related to diversity and inclusion.
Screening and Selection Procedures
For purposes of the award selection process, diversity and inclusion initiatives are defined as organizational programs, activities, and efforts, designed to promote and support differences in people and society that may include race and ethnic origin, gender, ability, religion, age, education, sexual orientation or other differences.
The selection process includes:
- Nominations will accepted between Monday, Dec. 2 and 5 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 17.
- The Commission on Diversity & Inclusion (CODI) will contact all nominees Jan. 22-23 and communicate the information required for a completed candidate packet.
- Nominees are required to submit the following documentation by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 14. Incomplete or late packets will not be considered by the selection committee.
- A personal letter written by the nominee outlining the activities and achievements that demonstrate their contributions toward diversity and inclusion [no more than two (2) typed pages]
- Two (2) letters of reference [each being no more than one (1) typed page]
- These documents should be emailed to CODI@unf.edu or hand delivered to the President's Office (Attention to: Commission on Diversity & Inclusion)
- The award selection committee will review the candidate packages and select two (2) to three (3) nominees to interview. They will then, based off a combination of criteria ratings, select the recipient.
- CODI will confirm the selection committee's recommendation electronically.
2020 Selection Committee Members
- Allison Carr, student, student assistant for Learning Community and First Year Experience mentor
- Alison Cruess, director of A&F Communications and the Commission on Diversity & Inclusion
- Glenda Kelsey, coordinator of Library Services
- Ruth Lopez, assistant VP of Student Affairs
- Amy Lorenz, associate director of Residence Life
- Whitney Meyer, director of President's Office
The selected nominee will receive notification of the award by April 1, 2020. Public acknowledgement and the recipient's award presentation will be made during the Spring Convocation on April 17, by the University President or his designee.
Previous Award Recipients
Visit this web site to view previous award winners.
For More Information and to Submit Candidate Packets
For more information, email email@example.com or call 904-620-2583 (Alison Cruess).
Nominees will be notified Feb 22-23. Once notified, nominees will submit completed candidate packets by 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 14, either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand delivered to:
University of North Florida
Office of the President, J.J.Daniel Hall, Building 1, Suite 2800
Attention to: Commission on Diversity & Inclusion
1 UNF Drive
Jacksonville, Florida 32224