Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Action (IDEA) Mini Grants
The UNF Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI) developed the IDEA Mini Grant Program to offer limited financial support to research projects or activities that aim to further and/or deepen understanding of justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Members of the campus community who are interested in applying for an IDEA Mini Grant should read the information provided below prior to submitting a Letter of Interest (LOI).
IDEA Mini Grant Letter of Interest (LOI) Submission Form
IDEA Mini Grants are awarded to UNF faculty, staff, or students conducting research or activities in the areas of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in and across academic disciplines. These mini grants serve as seed funding to develop and enhance research projects or initiatives that further UNF's goals of inclusive excellence. Individual applicants may request up to $1,000, while research projects or activities with multiple collaborators may request up to $2,000. Collaboration is highly encouraged but not required. Grants are awarded on a rolling basis, as funding is available.
All projects must demonstrate the potential to make an impact on university, local, national, or global communities or address a critical need related to inclusive excellence strategies at the university, including the university's Strategic Plan for Inclusive Excellence (SPIE)
. Letters of Interest (LOIs) seeking funding for capital projects, technology needs, food, or incentives for research participants will not be considered. Travel may constitute as a covered expense under IDEA Mini Grants, pending reason for travel.
To apply for an IDEA Mini Grant, you must submit a Letter of Interest (LOI). LOIs should be no more than two (2) typed pages, single-spaced, 12-point font (Arial or Times New Roman only) and must include the following:
- Title and Researcher(s): Name of Research Project or Activity and Researcher(s)/Organizer(s). The name should succinctly and clearly describe the project.
- Rationale: provide a brief outline of the purpose of the research or activity and population supported by the research or activity. This section should include identifiable goals and strategies for your research project or activity.
- Budget Overview: demonstrate how the funds will be used- be sure to include any additional funding sources. The budget overview must explain how researcher(s) or organizer(s) intend to utilize the requested funding amount.
- Project Timeline: detail the length of the intended research project or activity.
All grantees must commit to the following if selected for an IDEA mini grant:
- Mid-Project Briefing: Grantees must schedule time at the midway point of the research project or activity to update the Director, Inclusive Excellence on project progression.
- Final Report: All grantees must submit a final report that provides an overview of the research project or activity, including, how the aims or objectives of the program were met, the outcomes of the research, and listing any presentations or publications associated with the research project.
- Presentations: As a grantor, ODI reserves the right to request presentations of the grantee about their funded projects for the campus community.
Each LOI is reviewed based on the aforementioned proposal criteria and the LOI's alignment with the following:
UNF Strategic Plan for Inclusive Excellence (SPIE) Alignment: LOIs should indicate intent to contribute to or enhance the university's goals related to the SPIE
- Meaningful Impact: how the research or activity will address issues related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice and the difference the research or activity will make in the lives of affected populations
- Increased Collaboration: the degree to which this research project or activity will foster the advancement of shared goals and the exchange of knowledge and information
Prospective applicants should direct questions to Brandi Winfrey, director, Inclusive Excellence by emailing email@example.com.
For general information or questions unrelated to the application process, email firstname.lastname@example.org.