Skip to Main Content
Students Kayaking

Unstable Housing Services

UNF is committed to providing the resources that students need to be successful students and members of their community. As stated in the University’s mission, “UNF faculty and staff maintain an unreserved commitment to student success within a diverse, supportive campus culture.”

Students sometimes find themselves in a living situation that is unstable and inadequate. As examples, this may include living in a shelter, a motel, a vehicle, camping, “couch-surfing” between friend’s apartments or homes, in other accommodations not normally used as a residence, or living on campus during the semester but having nowhere to live during breaks. This is sometimes referred to as lacking a fixed or permanent residence or being highly mobile, and it is a common problem among college students. In 2009, more than 47,000 students in the U.S. identified themselves as “homeless” on their financial aid application.

A student who lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence or whose primary nighttime residence is a public or private shelter designed to provide temporary residence for individuals intended to be institutionalized, or a public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings, may be exempt from paying tuition and fees, and may be eligible for other support services and accommodations.

If you find yourself in this situation or know someone who is, the starting point for accessing services at UNF is through the Office of the Dean of Students. The Dean of Students will work with students to determine their individual needs and coordinate access to a variety of resources. The program developed may include use or referral to the following on-campus services:

  • Financial Aid – including assistance to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and guidance and support to determine financial aid dependency status.
  • Housing
  • Meal plan/food
  • Academic advising and assistance
  • Medical and/or psychological care
  • Child care
  • Employment assistance
  • Referrals as needed by the individual to other campus-based support services
  • Referral to off-campus resources as well, based on the individual student’s interests and needs.


Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students for more information.