Faculty, instructors, and staff are often the first to recognize when a student is exhibiting concerning behaviors and could benefit from additional support.
How you can support a student in a non-emergency situation:
- Listen to the student. Reach out to the student of concern before making a SOS referral.
- Acknowledge the student's concern. Make sure the student knows you care.
- Refer the student to an office/individual and follow up. Make sure students know your limits to help.
- Submit a SOS referral if you need to enlist more support and/or the student has been unresponsive to your outreach.
- Document what you have done and pass this information along to the case manager or include it in the SOS referral.