Outreach Mission, Philosophy and Goals
The Counseling Center Outreach Program is dedicated to creating a campus community where all students feel cared for and supported. We believe that psychological issues are influenced by the interplay of biological, psychological, and sociocultural factors. Psychological issues can also result, in part, from social inequity and injustice. Thus, we strive to offer programming aimed at promoting personal growth, safety, and academic success, while encouraging an environment of equality and respect for diversity and multiculturalism.
Consistent with our outreach mission and philosophy, our goals are to:
- Create a community that is psychologically safe for all students
- Raise awareness and knowledge about psychological issues in order to reduce stigma
- Take an active role in the primary prevention of mental issues
- Empower students to find and use their voices in a healthy and productive way
- Change sociocultural factors that interfere with students' psychological functioning
- Challenge ideas that contribute to social inequity, disempowerment, and discrimination, as well as the underlying structures reinforcing them
What Are The Possible Outreach Topics?
Our staff of counseling professionals is highly skilled and knowledgeable to address a variety of mental health-related topics based on the concepts of prevention and wellness. We pride ourselves in delivering services targeting issues relevant to the UNF campus community, which include:
- Diversity and inclusiveness
- Stress management
- Dating relationships
- Eating issues and body image
- Drug and alcohol concerns
- Wellness, mindfulness meditation
- Conflict resolution
- Suicide prevention
- Sexual assault awareness
- Reducing counseling stigma
We can also present on other topics that can be tailored to the needs of your class or group.
How Do I Request Outreach Services?
Please complete the Online Outreach Request Form if you are interested in requesting outreach services.
In order for our center to best meet your needs, when requesting outreach services, we ask that you please provide us with three (3) weeks of advanced notice.
For questions about your request, please contact the UNF Counseling Center by emailing us or calling (904) 620-2602 to leave a message asking to speak with our Outreach Coordinator or Associate Director.
What Are Consultation Services?
If you are concerned about a student who is in distress or struggling with mental health issues, we are available to discuss these concerns and help you deal effectively with the situation and/or make the appropriate referrals. Call the Counseling Center to request a consultation in person (Building 2) or by phone, (904) 620-2602.