What is Group Therapy?
The purpose of group therapy is to assist each individual in emotional growth and personal problem solving. All the information shared will remain confidential. Therapy groups are free and open to all currently enrolled UNF students. Below, you will find a video introduction to group therapy that will hopefully answer any initial questions you may have about this service.
What are the advantages of group work?
- You realize you are not alone in your concerns
- Group topics can give you information to enhance self-understanding
- As you listen to and support others you learn to have more compassion for yourself
- Helping others and becoming informed can boost your self esteem
- You have the opportunity to know how others perceive you and with this information you can practice new communication skills and new behaviors that will increase your effectiveness in relating to others
- More heads are better than one when it comes to solving problems
- Group gives you the chance to obtain multiple perspectives on issues in a safe setting
- When members tell their story to a supportive audience, they can obtain relief from chronic feelings of shame and guilt
- You can be inspired and encouraged by another member who has overcome the problems with which they are still struggling
- Being in a group enhances each members sense of belonging, acceptance, and validation.
Current Therapy Groups:
Understanding Self and Others
The Understanding Self and Others (USAO) groups are insight oriented groups that provide a safe environment for exploring personal growth through connections with others.
To participate you must be a current client of the counseling center and sign up for a USAO group within the first 3-4 weeks of the semester. For more information, please call 904.620.2602.
Open Art Therapy Studio
Open Art Therapy Studio is currently being held on Wednesdays from 1:30 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. Any student may participate and you do not have to be a current client of the counseling center. Art supplies are provided. It is not required for one to attend regularly. Students may choose to participate any time open studio is offered.
Art Therapy Group
To participate in an Art Therapy Group you must be a current client of the counseling center and sign up for the group within the first 3-4 weeks of the semester. For more information, please call 904.620.2602.
This psychoeducational group aims to strengthen resiliency skills so when life happens, as it often does, students will feel more prepared and adept to handle situational stressors. To sign up for Bouncing Back, or for more information about this group, please call 904.620.2602.
Feel Good Now
This meditation group will feature several guided meditation practices and help you to learn how to utilize meditation to achieve immediate stress relief. Any and all students are invited to join this group each Friday morning. For more information, please call 904.620.2602.
How do I join a group?
Call (904) 620-2602 or stop by Building 2, Room 2300
If you are not already a client of our center, you may walk into our the Counseling Center between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. any day the center is open to complete an initial consultation. During this appointment, you will have an opportunity to talk confidentially with a counselor about your immediate
concerns and interest in group therapy.
This appointment will provide you an opportunity to learn more about group therapy, and help determine if the group format will be a good match for your current concerns and/or personal growth goals.
If you are a client of our center, you may contact us anytime to be placed in a therapy group. If you would like more information about our group offerings, it may be helpful to schedule an appointment with your individual counselor to discuss your interest in group therapy.