What is Group Therapy?
Service Update: Email us if you are interested in participating in online counseling groups through Zoom! The UNF Community is invited to enroll in our Canvas Resource Page for access to our Zoom Groups and other information.
The purpose of group therapy is to assist each individual in emotional growth and personal problem solving. All the information shared will remain confidential. Therapy groups are free and open to all currently enrolled UNF students. Below, you will find a video introduction to group therapy that will hopefully answer any initial questions you may have about this service.
What are the advantages of group work?
- You realize you are not alone in your concerns
- Group topics can give you information to enhance self-understanding
- As you listen to and support others you learn to have more compassion for yourself
- Helping others and becoming informed can boost your self esteem
- You have the opportunity to know how others perceive you and with this information you can practice new communication skills and new behaviors that will increase your effectiveness in relating to others
- More heads are better than one when it comes to solving problems
- Group gives you the chance to obtain multiple perspectives on issues in a safe setting
- When members tell their story to a supportive audience, they can obtain relief from chronic feelings of shame and guilt
- You can be inspired and encouraged by another member who has overcome the problems with which they are still struggling
- Being in a group enhances each members sense of belonging, acceptance, and validation.
How do I join a group?
Not all of our groups require an initial consultation prior to participation and many are open/drop-in groups, meaning you are welcome to join even if you are not an established client of the center.
If you are not already a client of our center and want to participate in a group that requires an initial consultation, you are invited to contact the center to schedule a consultation. During this appointment, you will have an opportunity to talk confidentially with a counselor about your immediate concerns and interest in group therapy. This appointment will provide you an opportunity to learn more about group therapy, and help determine if the group format will be a good match for your current concerns and/or personal growth goals.
If you are a client of our center, you may contact us anytime to inquire about participating in a non drop-in therapy group. If you would like more information about our group offerings, it may be helpful to schedule an appointment with your individual counselor to discuss your interest in group therapy.
There are many great group therapy options in the local community. If you are interested in working with a mental health provider in the community and have health insurance coverage, most insurance carriers provide referrals for mental health services through their website or over the phone. Information on how to navigate using health insurance to receive mental healthcare services. As an additional referral source, Psychology Today provides a therapist directory and can help you connect with therapists in the community. As the UNF Counseling Center is not affiliated with any insurance carriers or Psychology today, we are unable to vouch for or endorse any of the providers you may be referred to.