About the UNF Counseling Center
The mission of the Counseling Center is to enhance students' total educational experience by providing a confidential and supportive environment where student concerns can be shared and explored. Center services assist students with their personal development and enhance their potential for academic success.
The purpose of the Counseling Center is to provide mental health services to the university community, including: assessment and referral, individual, group counseling and crisis intervention to currently enrolled UNF students; consultation and outreach services to faculty, staff, parents, and students. These services are offered in order to:
- Facilitate student adjustment and personal growth as they make decisions and assume responsibility for life on a college campus;
- Assist students to develop new strategies to resolve problems and develop more effective behaviors to cope with life stresses.
- Provide preventative and educational programs in areas which impact students' mental health, such as interpersonal communication skills, self-esteem, and relationship issues.
- Assist students with more intensive psychological concerns through supportive counseling, maintenance or referral.
- Provide consultation, support and training to faculty and staff who may encounter students in psychological distress.
The UNF Counseling Center is committed to providing professional services that appreciate the uniqueness and diversity of all individuals. Our staff honors and respects the differences that are represented by age, gender, gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, national origin, religious beliefs, socioeconomic status, disability, impairment, language, outward appearance, body size/shape, and political ideology. We strive to integrate multicultural awareness into all aspects of our work, including counseling, supervision, education, training, outreach, and hiring practices. The UNF Counseling Center is dedicated to working with other university groups and departments to promote a safe and healthy campus climate that embraces diversity.
The UNF Counseling Center is accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services (IACS). A periodic evaluation is conducted by IACS to ensure compliance with current standards.
The UNF Counseling Center's Doctoral Internship Program is accredited, on contingency, by the American Psychological Association (APA).