Master of Accountancy
The increasingly complex nature of the accounting and controllership functions, as well as the growing responsibilities of the accountant, makes graduate study desirable. Since 1978, the Coggin College of Business has provided a professionally oriented Master of Accountancy (MAcc) degree which enables career advancement in the accounting profession and the additional accounting coursework necessary to be licensed as a CPA under Florida accountancy laws. As evidence of the quality of the Master of Accountancy Program, the MAcc and the undergraduate BBA in Accounting degree programs are separately accredited by AACSB International - the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
The objective of the curriculum leading to the Master of Accountancy (MAcc) degree is to provide the necessary advanced study for those seeking careers in professional accounting as controllers and accounting executives in industry and government, or as independent certified public accountants. Emphasis is given to how accountants relate theory to current problems, and how accountants communicate such information to the various users of accounting data. Students in the Master of Accountancy program may pursue either the general accounting track or the tax concentration.
The MAcc program is designed to allow those who possess a recent baccalaureate degree from an AACSB accredited college with an accounting major or its equivalent to complete the MAcc in three or four semesters. Those who possess a baccalaureate degree in Business Administration or in some other discipline will be required to take foundation courses to remove any deficiencies before admission to the MAcc Program.
- 33 credit hour degree program
- Gain industry specific knowledge through elective courses (9 credits) and extracurricular activities
- Career coaching provided by the Coggin Career Management Center staff
- Graduate Assistantships program available
- Learn the language of business and gain a solid business background to open up advancement opportunities within the accounting field.
- Open career opportunities in the field of business which would have been unavailable without a graduate MAcc degree.
- Strengthen transferable skills to allow for employment in management.
- Gain a network of contacts that will last a lifetime.