Financial Planning Program
The financial planning major is designed for the student who is interested in a career in the financial planning profession. This major integrates investments, tax planning, employee benefits, insurance, and estate planning. The objective is to prepare students for careers in the growing fields of financial planning. This concentration also emphasizes communication skills. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for the examinations leading to professional designations such as Certified Financial PlannerTM (CFP TM) and Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC). CFPTM and Certified Financial PlannerTM are certification marks owned by the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. These marks are awarded to individuals who successfully complete the CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
The selection of courses for the major in financial planning should be arranged by students with their academic advisor in conformance with the general requirements outlined below.
The requirements for a major in financial planning are:
- Prerequisites for Coggin College of Business: 60 lower-level credit hours from an approved institution.
- Requirements to earn the Bachelor of Business Administration degree with a major in Financial Planning are listed below.
- Curriculum listed below is for the current academic year. Please see an advisor for an OFFICIAL program of study.
- You must complete prerequisites before registering for any course. Refer to the Course Catalog for details.
- View the My Osprey Map [Course Sequence Guide] to keep on track for graduation - should be used in consultation with an academic advisor after admission to UNF.
- A student may receive credit for a course only once. However, the GPA will reflect all repeated courses.
- This program is subject to a student fully admitted into the Coggin College of Business.
- An approved transient application is required prior to registering for courses at another institution. Students are not allowed to enroll in courses at another institution during their last semester at UNF.
Major: Financial Planning
Degree: Bachelor of Business Admin.
Please view the UNF course catalog for the most up-to-date program of study
Prerequisites (21 credits)
21 semester hours are required. Grade of "C" or better is required for all prerequisites.
- ACG2021 Prin of Financial Accounting (3 Credits)
- Acceptable substitute: ACGX021, ACGX022 or (ACGX001 and ACGX011)
- ACG2071 Prin Managerial Accounting (3 Credits)
- Acceptable substitute: ACGX071 or ACGX301
- CGS1100 Computer Applications for Bus. (3 Credits)
- Acceptable substitute: CGSX100, CGSX530, CGSX570, CGSX060, CGSX100C, CGSX531, CGSX000, or ISMX000 (or demonstrated competency)
- ECO2013 Principles of Macroeconomics (3 Credits)
- Acceptable substitute: ECOX013
- ECO2023 Principles of Microeconomics (3 Credits)
- Acceptable substitute: ECOX023
- MAC2233 (GM)Calculus for Business (3 Credits)
- Acceptable substitute: MACX233 or MACX230
- STA2023 (GM) Elem Statistics-Business (3 Credits)
- Acceptable substitute: STAX023, STAX122, or QMBX100
Core Requirements (18 credits)
18 semester hours are required. A grade of "C" or better is required in all core courses. MAN4720 is taken in a student's last semester. FIN3403, MAN3025, & MAR3023 must be completed prior to taking MAN4720.
- BUL3130 Legal Environment of Business (3 Credits)
- FIN3403 Financial Management (3 Credits)
- MAN3025 Administrative Management (3 Credits)
- MAR3023 Principles of Marketing (3 Credits)
- MAN3504 Operations Management (3 Credits)
- MAN4720 Strategic Mgmt Business Policy (3 Credits)
Major Requirements (30 credits)
This program requires 30 hours in the major. A grade of "C" or better is required in all major courses. (There are no substitutions allowed for FIN3303, FIN4504, FIN4514, FIN4132, FIN4128, RMI3011, & RMI4135.) (TAX3001 may be substituted for TAX3721)
- FIN3124 Financial Planning (3 Credits)
- FIN4504 Investments (3 Credits)
- ISM4011 Intro Management Info Systems (3 Credits)
- TAX3721 Tax Plan in Financial Decision (3 Credits)
- FIN4514 Securities Analysis/Portf Mgmt (3 Credits)
- RMI4135 Employee Benefit Plans (3 Credits)
- (RMI4135 - to be taken in Spring semester)
- RMI3011 Risk Management and Insurance (3 Credits)
- Normally only offered in the Spring semester
- FIN4132 Estate Planning (3 Credits)
- Normally only offered in the Spring semester
- FIN4128 Financial Plan Development (3 Credits)
SELECT ONE Course
- FIN4556 Behavioral Finance -or-
- FIN4940 Financial Planning Internship
Required Business (6 credits)
Six semester hours are required. A grade of "C" or better is required for all courses in this area.
- ECO3203 Intermediate Macroeconomics (3 Credits)
- ECO3411 Business/Economic Statistics (3 Credits)
Non-Business Requirements (6 credits)
6 Semester hours are required. A grade of "C" or better is required for all courses in this area. The Cultural Diversity course should be chosen from the cultural diversity course list.
- ENC3202 Professional Comm for Business
- ENC3250 Business Communication taken Spring or Summer 2019 will fulfill this course requirement.
- AND one cultural diversity course