Minor in GIS and Economic Geography
The Department of Economics and Geography has been named such since its creation when the university was founded in the early 1970s. The geography courses offered provided and continue to provide geographic (spatial) education in a supportive way offering courses fulfilling required, or elective elements for other programs in related disciplines and colleges. In the Coggin College of Business, Geography courses support the BBA and BA in Economics; the BBA in International Business and the BBA Real Estate Track in the Department of Accounting and Finance. Geography courses support the International Studies program in COAS and one course counts toward the General Education Cultural Diversity requirement. In addition, Geography courses contribute to programs in the College of Education.
The importance of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and in particular, Business GIS, has increased interest and demand for GIS and other geography courses in recent years. Spatial skills in Geography and GIS prepare students for a wide variety of occupations in government, business, planning, and education. Geography programs are offered at every other institution in Florida and the creation of a minor in Geography at UNF will fill a hole that has been in existence for many years.
The creation of the minor is a complement to the programs currently in place in the Coggin College of Business. Both the UNF Flagship initiatives in the college: International Business and Transportation and Logistics will benefit from the skills learned by students enrolled in economic geography courses and GIS courses. The minor was restructured in 2020 with an increased emphasis on GIS and Economic Geography.
Minor: GIS and Economic Geography (15 credits)
* Student must take a minimum of 12 hours of course work in Geography at UNF.
* A grade of "C" or better is required in all minor courses, including any pre-requisites.
* This minor is available to any UNF major (Where allowable - see your academic advisor).
- GEO3502 Economic Geography (3 Credits)
- (Prerequisite required: Principles of Economics or permission of instructor)
- GIS3043 Introduction to GIS (3 Credits)
- or equivalent course, by permission of Chair
- GIS4048 Intermediate GIS (3 Credits)
- or equivalent course, by permission of Chair (prerequisite required GIS3043)
- SELECT two courses
- GEO 2200 Physical Geography (3 credits)
- GEO 2420 CD Cultural Geography (3 credits)
- GEO 3372 Conservation of Natural Resources (3 credits)
- GEA 3405 Geography of Latin America and the Caribbean (3 credits)
- GEO 3553 Cultural Dimensions of Economic Geography (3 credits)
- GEO 4905 Directed Independent Study (3 credits) (Prerequisite required: permission of Department Chair)
- GEO 4930 Special Topics in Geography (3 credits) (Prerequisite required: permission of instructor)
- GEO 4956 Study Abroad in Geography (3 credits) or equivalent course, by permission of Chair