Coggin Exchange Application
Application Deadline: May 1st for Fall Term
Mandatory Orientation Date: August 17th for Fall Term
Stephanie Worley, MA
Study Abroad Advisor, Coggin College of Business
Bldg. 10, Suite 2125
University of North Florida
1 UNF Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32224
Nominated students should download and complete all pieces of the application as named below. All steps are required for an application to be considered complete. Please email all application materials to the Coggin Study Abroad Advisor at the address provided below. Emailing the forms is sufficient; you do not need to mail these as physical copies. If you'd like, you can keep a physical copy for your own personal records. Please visit our Exchange Student Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about studying at UNF.
For semester dates, please refer to UNF's Calendar of Events. Classes for the fall 2019 semester begin on Monday, 19 August. The last day of exams for the fall 2019 semester is Friday, 13 December. Exchange students should plan to be in the United States before classes begin so that they may attend orientation, and through the end of the final exam period.
Nominations are due March 1st - for Fall incoming; September 15th - for Spring incoming.
Priority Forms deadline is March 15th for Fall incoming students.
Priority forms are the following:
- Application Form (UNF will not accept application forms for fall term beyond May 1 - the accelerated due date of March 15 is to ensure speedy processing of visa documents)
- Passport Copy
- Financial Affidavit
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
All other application materials are due May 1st for Fall incoming students:
- Proof of Immunization
- Proof of Insurance
- Academic Transcripts + Current Course Schedule
- Course Request Form
1. Application Form
The application form must be received by March 15 for Fall Term. These are non-negotiable University of North Florida deadlines which the Coggin College of Business does not have the authority to waive. Please complete ALL sections of this form. Leaving sections blank will delay the processing of your application. Be sure to answer the questions in "Section E" by checking either "yes" or "no". Leaving any of the questions in this section blank will result in the belief that the answer is "yes." If you would like to apply for on-campus housing, please scan/email this form to us as soon as possible, even if your other documents are not ready. Students cannot apply for housing until the application form has been processed- your international student advisor will email you directions on how to apply for campus housing.
2. Affidavit of Financial Support
All incoming exchange students must submit a completed Affidavit of Financial Support and Bank Certification. There is a different form for students attending UNF for one semester only and students attending UNF for two semesters. All exchange students should bring a physical copy of their Affidavit of Financial Support with them when they arrive at UNF.
Affidavit of Financial Support Fall 2019
Affidavit of Financial Support 2019 - 2020 Academic Year (Two Semesters)
3. English Language Proficiency
All students must submit one of the following two items:
1) Letter/memo from the home or nominating institution confirming nominated students have sufficient English language skills. Please see the English Proficiency Memo drafts for templates that can be used by the home or nominating institution. If the student is a native speaker of English, this can be stated in the letter. Note that these letters MUST be on university letterhead and be signed by the official advisor.
English Language Proficiency Draft Letter
2) Results from a recognized English language test, for example:
- A minimum qualifying TOEFL score
- Undergraduate/Bachelor-level Students: 500 paper-based (173 computer-based, 61 internet-based)
- Graduate/Master-Level Students: 550 paper-based (213 computer-based, 79 internet-based).
- College Board Advanced Placement (AP) International English Language (AP-IEL)
- A score of 3 or higher (AP grades range from 5 high to 1 low; 3 equals "Qualified").
- University of Cambridge IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- A band score of 6.5 (band scores range from 9 high to 1 low; 6.5 lies between 6 "competent user" and 7 "good user").
4. Passport Scan or Copy
Email a clear, colored scan of the photo page of your valid passport to the Coggin Study Abroad Advisor listed above. Your passport must be valid for at least six (6) months beyond the end date of your semester exchange at UNF.
5. Immunization Form
If you have any questions about this form, please contact the Office of Medical Compliance. This Immunization Form information is required for ALL students on UNF's campus. Students will not be permitted to register for courses until they have provided official documentation for these immunizations. All students born after 1956 must submit documented proof of immunity to Measles and Rubella, and their vaccinations must have been AFTER their first birthday; if a student received this vaccine prior to his/her first birthday, he/she must get another MMR and submit these lab results in addition to their form. There is a detailed explanation of these requirements on page 2 of the Immunization Form. Remember that without this form, we cannot register you for any UNF classes.
- Hepatitis B: Students may provide proof of this immunization or sign a waiver. Please read all information provided by the Medical Compliance Office about Hepatitis B.
- Meningitis: Students may provide proof of this immunization or sign a waiver. Please read all information provided by the Medical Compliance Office about Meningitis.
6. Academic Transcripts and Current Course Schedule
Please submit a copy of your transcript (or another document that lists course titles and grades earned) in English from all universities you have attended. If the classes you are currently enrolled in do not appear on your transcript, please also submit a list of courses you are currently taking. Your International Student Advisor may also ask for your syllabi.
7. Course Schedule Request Form
Students should have the entire form filled out, including prerequisite verification, by the Exchange Officer at their home institution. Courses offered for the upcoming term are posted on the UNF Course Schedule. Choose "Search by Department". The course catalog has brief descriptions of course content and listings of prerequisites. Please note that the course catalog does not give the timetable for the courses; students can submit their course request form without details such as CRN, time, etc. The advisor will match your course request with the best course selection. The timetable and exact course selection will come out on MyWings mid-semester during the semester before the exchange. Please be prepared to have alternative choices in the event that your preferred class will not be offered this term.
Your International Student Advisor will look over your course request form and determine whether or not you have met any prerequisite requirements (via your university transcript). If there are any issues with timing, prerequisites, or anything else, he/she will email you recommending an alternate schedule. This process may be back and forth for a bit of time, so please remain patient.
Exchange Student Course Schedule Request
8. International Insurance
All international students are required to have international insurance with adequate coverage. Once you are admitted to UNF, you will need to go into your myWings account and select whether you want to enroll in UNF's insurance or use a different insurance provider.
If you choose to enroll in UNF's insurance, this decision is final and cannot be changed. After you submit the completed UNF International Student Insurance Agreement, UNF Medical Compliance will automatically enroll you in the UNF health insurance plan. Note that once you have chosen the UNF health insurance plan, a charge for UNF health insurance is automatically added to your account and you will be required to pay the fee. Once the semester begins, students will be able to download and print their insurance card. If you choose to enroll in UNF's insurance, please complete the International Student Insurance Agreement.
You may find more information about UNF Insurance here http://www.unf.edu/shs/Immunization.aspx via the bottom of the website. For specific information regarding the UNF insurance plan, please use the following link:
The cost of the UNF Insurance for Spring 2019 was $785 USD - exact prices for Fall 2019 are yet to be determined. For detailed questions about UNF Health Insurance, please contact UNF Medical Compliance.
- If you choose to enroll with a different insurance provider, you must submit a complete International Insurance Evaluation form before you can be registered for classes at UNF. You must ask your insurance provider to complete the International Insurance Evaluation form to verify that your coverage meets all of UNF requirements. A copy of your insurance contract is NOT an acceptable substitute for the Insurance Evaluation form. Alternative insurance for a given semester should cover the student for the same dates covered by UNF insurance. If you decide to have alternative health insurance (insurance that is NOT from UNF), you will need to have your insurance company complete the International Student Health Insurance Compliance Form located in the following webpage http://www.unf.edu/shs/International_Student_Insurance.aspx. It is important to note that the alternative insurance company agrees to all 16 of the Florida State required benefits and the forms are filled out completely, including signed and stamped by the insurance company. Spring 2019 students will need coverage from 01/07/2019 - 05/08/2019.
Please submit all insurance documentation directly to Stephanie Worley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Insurance Evaluation Form
International Student Insurance Agreement
Note: We strongly recommend that students live on campus. Jacksonville is a very large city, and living on-campus is by far the more practical options for exchange students. If you choose to live off campus, note that it will be difficult to find a short-term lease and a mode of transportation to campus. If you would like to make arrangements to live off campus, you must note this at the time of application. You will be asked to submit the name and location of your alternative housing arrangements.
UNF's Housing Department has a comprehensive website which describes housing options, accommodations, prices, locations and general information. All on-campus housing contracts are submitted online via UNF's Housing Portal. After your application has been processed, and you have been admitted to UNF, your advisor will email you regarding how to apply.
In order to submit a complete contract, students are required to make a $300 payment: $100 is a non-refundable processing fee and $200 is a prepayment toward rent. When making payments, international credit cards may be subject to additional fees. The remaining portion of the cost for UNF housing will appear on students' accounts closer to the start of the semester and must be completely paid during the first week of classes.
Students will need to submit a Housing Contract for the appropriate semester. A video is available to show you how to fill out the housing contract. This is a binding contract, so please pay close attention to the cancellation deadline(s). Through the contract process, students are able to indicate their preferred housing accommodations. Housing will do their best to place students in their preferred residence hall and room type. However, there is no guarantee that a student will be placed in their preferred residence hall or room type. Assignments depend several factors including availability and the order in which contracts are received.