Graduate Certificate in TESOL
The Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) provides students with advanced knowledge in the education of English Language Learners (ELLs) of any age. The completion of six TESOL graduate courses awards a candidate a TESOL certificate from UNF, and qualifies a candidate to apply for the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) endorsement to be added to the candidate’s existing Florid teacher’s certificate. Additionally, the program prepares candidates to teach English domestically and abroad as there may be an opportunity to work overseas (e.g., South Korea, China, Mexico) for one year while completing the certificate program. In these context, candidates will benefit from learning knowledge of language fundamentals paired with cultural and pedagogical training and teaching experiences. All of the required six TESOL courses are offered in an online format.
Strengths of UNF's TESOL Program:
- Thoughtfully designed program to prepare students with both the linguistic and pedagogical tools to educate ESL learners.
- Provide opportunities to be in a field of education to practice what was learned during the course
- Assist prospective teachers to receive a professional credential that may assist them in successful or better employment opportunities in other countries.
- Opportunities to get teacher education course teaching position related to TESOL in the higher education field.
Required Courses (15 credit hours):
- TSL 6345 Methods of Teaching in ESOL and Bilingual Settings (3 credits)
- TSL 6440 Assessment in ESOL setting (3 credits)
- TSL 6525 Cross-Cultural Communication and Knowledge (3 credits)
- TSL 6254 Applied Linguistic & Grammar for Educators (3 credits)
- TSL 6325 TESOL Methods: Content Instruction (3 credits)
Estimated time to complete: 1 year
Tuition and Fees: Visit the UNF Tuition and Fees site for more information
Accelerated BA in International Studies to Graduate Certificate in TESOL
UNF is also offering an Accelerated BA in International Studies to Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) as a UNF+ Pathway. Take three graduate classes while you are an undergraduate. Nine credit hours will count toward both B.A. in International Studies and Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
The Accelerated BA/Graduate Certificate program offers the following perks:
- Earn a Graduate Certificate in TESOL with only 3 additional courses after you earn your bachelor’s degree in English.
- Proceed more quickly toward the completion of the graduate certificate
- Save on the tuition of the three undergraduate courses that are replaced by graduate courses.
You must complete the following:
- Earn a GPA of 3.5 in the major.
- Complete INS3003 Introduction to International Studies and at least four other courses within the major with grades of B or better.
- Provide letters of recommendation from two UNF faculty members.
- Meet with the director of the Graduate Certificate in TESOL, before applying.
Dr. Clayton McCarl, International Studies Director, email@example.com
TESOL Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate TESOL Certificate (Post-Baccalaureate Certificate)
Program Description for Graduate TESOL Certificate
Major: Graduate TESOL Certificate
Degree: Post-Baccalaureate Certificate
Certificate Requirements (15 credits)
TSL6345 ESOL Methods (3 Credits)
TSL6440 Assessment in ESOL Settings (3 Credits)
TSL6525 Cross Culture Comm/Knowledge (3 Credits)
TSL6254 Applied Linguistics/Grammar (3 Credits)
TSL6325 TESOL: Content Instruction (3 Credits)