To be admitted to the SOAR Program, applicants must (1) apply and be admitted to the University of North Florida Graduate School AND (2) apply and be admitted to the SOAR Program. Learn more about the SOAR Program, the school counseling profession and the admissions process at a SOAR Information Session.
Apply to the UNF Graduate School
Refer to the Graduate School for requirements for admission to the University. Only applicants referred for admission by the Graduate School are considered for admission to the SOAR Program. It is important for applicants to begin the process of applying to the University as soon as possible. All required documents should be submitted to the Graduate School prior to the deadline dates.
Complete a portfolio and interview with a SOAR Selection Team
- As of March 16, 2020, any materials for the SOAR Portfolio should be scanned and emailed to email@example.com
- Must submit a completed portfolio to the SOAR Program in the Leadership, School Counseling and Sport Management Department. A complete SOAR Portfolio (see SOAR Portfolio) contains:
- Program Statement
- unofficial copies of transcripts from all institutions previously attended**
- copy of your General Knowledge Test score report or copy of GRE scores
- Individualized School Experience Contract
- written reaction to a journal article and a school scenario
- a copy of your teaching certificate if you are certified by the Florida Department of Education
- copies of any Reading or ESOL endorsements or certifications
- If invited to interview upon submission of your Graduate School application, you will be contacted via email. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if alternative interview dates or accommodations are needed for extenuating circumstances.
*OFFICIAL copies of transcripts and test scores must be sent to the UNF Graduate School as part of the Graduate admissions process. Applicants will interview with a selection committee comprised of program faculty and practicing school counselors and will deliver a brief public speech on the achievement gap (see page 10 of the SOAR Portfolio).
**Portfolio materials submitted become the property of the SOAR program. Please keep copies of all your documents.