Supporters of Academic Rigor (SOAR): School Counseling Program
The SOAR School Counseling Program at the University of North Florida prepares counselors who have developed strong basic counseling, relational, and reflective skills; who demonstrate sufficient multicultural content knowledge, skills, and practices; who practice from a sound foundation of theoretical and research-based knowledge; who hold and maintain a strong counselor identity; and who possess and exhibit the personal and professional dispositions necessary to work effectively as school counselors.
School Counseling is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). Graduates of the program will have fulfilled the educational requirements for Florida certification as school counselors.
About the Program
Major: Counselor Education
Concentration: School Counseling
Degree: Master of Education
- Cohort model program
- A 60-credit Master of Education degree in Counselor Education for all degree completers as of Spring 2023
- Florida initial educator certification program with eligibility for school counseling certification
Online Information Sessions
Learn more about the SOAR Program, the school counseling profession and the admissions process Q&A at a SOAR Information Session. Email SchoolCounseling@unf.edu for accommodations or questions.
Register now for an Information Session
Applicants can now access and submit the SOAR Portfolio for program admissions online. Contact us at SchoolCounseling@unf.edu if you need additional assistance.
Submit your portfolio
Higher Education Administration
The M.S. in Higher Education Administration (HEA) is designed as a practitioner-oriented program designed to prepare students for careers in Higher Education and also to allow current practitioners to advance their careers. The degree offers a practical and dynamic degree for those seeking a career in Colleges, Universities, and other Post-Secondary schools as well as career enhancement for those already working in the field. Courses emphasize practical instruction and a solutions-based approach for aspiring higher education leaders. The Higher Education Administration Master of Science degree is intended for those students who wish to obtain a master's degree and assume leadership roles in post secondary educational settings, do not desire the Florida Educational Leadership Certificate, and wish to work in higher education and continuing education. This degree is not for individuals seeking to become K-12 administrators.
Our program is built around a number of important principles:
- Practical Instruction for your career. Class activities and assignments are designed whenever possible to teach skills that can be directly applied in professional practice.
- Solutions-oriented approach. All courses and assignments, and even the grading system, emphasize finding solutions to challenges of practice in the field.
- We are Career-centered. Our focus is always on preparing each individual student for success in their chosen career path in Higher Education. We never forget that this program is about advancing your professional goals.
- Focus on Leadership & Administration. Although our program can help you get that initial position as an entry-level coordinator or advisor, we emphasize instruction that prepares you for a lifelong career that includes advancement into supervisory and leadership roles.
- Flexibility. Very few programs in our field offer as many degree concentration tracks as the M.S. in HEA at UNF.
The M.S. in HEA at UNF is unique in that it offers five concentration tracks to allow professionals to customize their degree to their career goals and the only program that allows students to choose more than one of these concentrations in their degree.
Choose from five degree concentrations
In addition to high quality career preparation in a wide variety of specialties, the M.S. in Higher Education Administration also features:
- Available paid Graduate Assistantships
- Personal attention to individual student needs and goals
- Instruction by leading faculty in the field including experienced current practitioners
- The opportunity for added experience in field-based practicums
- Evening courses scheduled for working professionals
- A strong record of successful graduates working in Higher Education and related fields locally, throughout Florida, nationally, and even around the world
- The ability to specialize in more than one concentration track