Disability Services Program
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Special Education, with the focus on Disability Services, is designed to meet the needs of professionals who serve individuals with disabilities in general education and non-school settings. The program consists of 36 semester hours that includes core and major requirements. This program does not carry any additional endorsements.
Admissions to the Program
Fall admit ONLY
Those entering the College of Education and Human Services must meet Graduate School admissions requirements as well as specific COEHS admissions criteria.
1. Official transcripts from all attended institutions
2. GRE scores required (verbal, quantitative, and writing portions taken within the last 5 years)
*(Institutional Code: 5490)
3. Three current professional letters on official letter head (if applicable) with an original signature (electronic signatures are not acceptable). Letters from relatives will not be accepted. The letters should indicate:
*Applicant's academic background.
*Applicant's aptitude for graduate work.
*Applicant's capabilities for future performance an scholarship.
*At least one letter from a college/university professor is preferred.
4. Written statement of 500-1000 words that includes the following information:
*Reasons for seeking admission into the M.Ed. in Special Education program
*How the program will help attain goals
5. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements for admissions must apply under the college’s exception policy.
Major: Special Education
Concentration: Disability Services
Degree: Master of Education
Core Requirements (6 credits)
EDF6480 Foundations of Ed Research (3 Credits)
EDF6607 Education in America (3 Credits)
Major Requirements (12 credits)
EEX5053 Foundations Excep Ed and Serv (3 Credits)
EEX6025 Issues/Trends Excep Ed/Service (3 Credits)
EEX6301 Research in Special Education (1-3 Credits)
EEX6402 Comm, Coll, Consult Spec Ed (3 Credits)
Major Electives (18 credits)
ELECTIVES Select 6 Graduate Courses
A minimum of 18 credit hours (5000-6000 Level) to be selected by the student in consultation with the Program Sponsor. Some possible choices of prefixes include: