Bachelor of Science in ASL/English Interpreting
Learning to interpret requires student interpreters to develop frameworks of understanding, knowledge, skills, and dispositions to use in making interpreting decisions. Field experiences provide the link between theory and practice to facilitate the acquisition of those critical frameworks. The practicum placement process is student led and oriented, requiring students to find their own placements that meet program requirements. Students are encouraged to review the process and follow it precisely. Currently, there are many approved practicum sites with which we have active and current affiliation agreements. Students are encouraged to review this list and consider one of the current, approved sites as it will be much quicker. Students are responsible for securing their own practicum placements.
The internship is organized according to the Commission on Collegiate Interpreter Education (CCIE) Standards (2014) by which the interpreting program is accredited. Each intern will develop a portfolio that reflects mastery of the standards. In addition, each intern will develop a Professional Development Plan. This diagnostic goal plan assists interns in identifying areas that need improvement or growth and specifies activities to accomplish this growth.
The Interpreter Education Program practicum is based on the following guiding principles:
- We value alliance with the Deaf and DeafBlind communities and respect the cultural norms inherent to these populations.
- We emphasize a spirit of respectful collaboration, partnership, and collegiality.
- We encourage a combination of professional skills development and dispositional growth in emerging interpreters.
- We promote personal responsibility and ownership for self-development and self-assessment.
- We foster an open-minded approach to diversity of all kinds.
Practicum occurs during the Spring semester of your Senior year. The process for placement begins in the Spring of your Junior year with the submission of a Notice of Intent outlining your preliminary plans. Applications for Practicum are due each September for the following term.