Florida Teacher Certification Requirements
STEP 1: Eligibility for Certification
- Hold a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college.
- Meet subject content specialization by having:
- Undergraduate degree major in subject area or
- Specified number of college credit hours in subject area or
- A passing score on the Florida teacher certification subject area exam
*Note that some school districts require a Statement of Eligibility from the state Department of Education that reflects completion of subject specialization requirements before obtaining employment in a Florida school system.
STEP 2: Requirements for a Three Year Nonrenewable Temporary Certificate
- Obtain employment in a Florida public, state-supported, or nonpublic school that has an approved Professional Education Competency Program.
- Complete a fingerprinting report for employer to submit to the State Department.
STEP 3: Requirements for a Five Year Professional Certificate
- Satisfy requirements of Steps 1 and 2
- Satisfy the educational training requirements of Professional Preparation through a Florida school district Alternative Certification Program (ACP) or completion of fifteen (15) hours in education courses.
- Satisfy Florida's testing requirements by presenting a passing score on each of the following tests:
- General Knowledge Test (Note: Pass by the end of the first year)
- Subject Area Exam (SAE) (Note: Can be completed in Step 1)
- Professional Education Test (Ped)
- Successfully complete an approved Florida Professional Education Competency (PEC) Program by the end of the first year. This is satisfied through the School Board upon being hired.
- Satisfy Practical Experience in Teaching - one year of full-time teaching experience in an elementary or secondary school.
**Note: Be sure to submit your application, $75.00 application fee and transcripts to the DOE.
Bureau of Educator Certification Website:
http://www.fldoe.org/teaching/certification/ (Apply here for the three year temporary teaching certificate)
For additional information contact: University of North Florida / Office of Academic Advising: (904) 620-3934.
Fifteen (15) semester hours with credit in the following professional education areas (Note: 15 hours total applies to all subjects; however, more than 15 hours may be needed to complete all of the specific course requirements):
Note: One year of teaching experience may be applied in lieu of three (3) semester hours of college credit toward missing requirements in a Professional Preparation category.