Skip to Main Content

Graduate Admissions Criteria


Applicants must meet minimum requirements for admission to graduate programs as established by the Florida State University System and the University of North Florida. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements for admission must apply for admission under the college's exception policy. Individual programs in the college have established admissions criteria beyond the minimum requirements. Information on these criteria can be found at each program's profile located in The Graduate School.

Academic Advising

All applicants seeking admission to master's programs in the college are required to meet with an academic advisor prior to admission. Visit the Office of Academic Advising, located in Building 57, Room 1070 or contact (904) 620-2530. The Office of Academic Advising provides individualized advisement to all students in the college. During the initial advising conference, the advisor will (1) explain the admission procedures, (2) help the student select the major which will lead the student to achieving career goals, (3) and plan a tentative program of study. Upon admission to the program, the division chair will assign a program sponsor from among the college faculty to finalize the program of study.

Admissions under the Graduate Exceptions Policy

If you do not meet one of the admissions criteria, you may be eligible to apply for admissions under the University's Exceptions Policy. If applying under this policy, you will need to write a letter of petition to the department's Chair. This letter should indicate why the criteria was not met and why you should be given special consideration, and it should be submitted by the fourth week of the term preceding anticipated admission. Accommodations in admission criteria are made for disabled students.