James Van Vleck Scholarship
Through the generosity of James Van Vleck, a financial stipend will be awarded to a student in the University of North Florida's College of Arts and Sciences International Studies Program to assist with study abroad expenses.
1. Students eligible for such scholarships must:
- Be an International Studies major or an International Studies minor,
- Have junior or senior class standing,
- Be a Florida resident, for tuition purposes,
- Be accepted to and have scheduled a study abroad program, and
- Have a minimum UNF GPA of 3.0.
2. Students awarded this scholarship must also agree to:
- Consent to release grades to the Division of Institutional Advancement for the purpose of reporting to the Donor,
- Agree to meet with the donor before and/or after their trip ,
- Comply with all University regulations, rules and codes of conduct governing students on campus, and
- Remain in good standing as a student.
3. Required Application Attachments a. Essay: A typewritten response of 750 words or less to the following question:
- Essay: A typewritten response of 750 words or less to the following question:
- Do you agree or disagree with Howard Wiarda's (2007) statement in Comparative Politics: Approaches and Issues: "All peoples and countries are ethnocentric, but Americans seem to be particularly afflicted. Instead of studying and trying to understand other countries through their eyes, . . . Americans tend to look at the rest of the world from the perspective that our ways and institutions are best and these other countries should therefore learn from the United States" (p. 19)?